[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carer and client smoking - Carers UK Forum

Carer and client smoking

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hello
A bit of advice really, I'm not a carer or a client, but my next door neighbour (neighbouring apartment) is a client who receives help a couple of times a week with shopping/cleaning etc after a TMI. We have a common entrance to our 2 apartments and recently I have been aware of a large amount of cigarette smoke coming out from under my neighbour's door and into my flat entrance when one of the carers is visiting. I know that the client smokes, and I know that the carer smokes as she has been seen smoking outside the flats and also in the local supermarket car park smoking with the client.
So I'm pretty sure they are both smoking in the house together. This doesn't happen with the other carer that comes on another day. It's a nuisance as it's getting into my flat (it does already with my neighbour's smoking habit), but when there are 2 people smoking it's horrible. I have a child with asthma and I am a cancer survivor,so I find this increasingly distressing. I appreciate that someone can do what they like in their own space and that I have to suck it up to some extent, but the carer smoking? That's wrong.
Now I don't want to get anyone sacked, as I assume this would be a sacking offence (I actually don't have any proof anyway), but what should I do?
My neighbour can be difficult and stroppy (she is also a heavy drinker but that is another story...) and has previously told me to get lost when I have mentioned smoke in my flat, she can do what she likes, so having a quiet word won't help. Should I approach the care agency and say there is a problem without giving names (so they will remind everyone not to do it?) Aaggh - it is distressing. It shouldn't happen, it's bad enough as it is without the extra smoke.
Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
Please please, stop being so petty about smoking.
Don’t blame the carer she is doing a very stressful job as it is.
The neighbour is already smoking, silly how you know that 2 people smoke.
Careers have not got enough time with the client to fill your flat up with smoke.
Would it not be better if you rather keep yourself occupied and let others live their life’s.
Zelda - this is a supportive and sympathetic forum! I appreciate English may not be your first language, but your post did come across as impatient, to say the very least!

There's always a divide between smokers and non-smokers that can never be bridged - smokers can think non-smokers kick up about nothing (!), and non-smokes can think smokers are just imposing their own choices on hapless others, to their detriment.

If, for example, the neighbour were playing heavy loud rock music day and night, that would be unacceptable and unneighbourly. Smoking is the same - it's one person imposing their lifestyle choices on another.

Not acceptable.
Rebecca - I'm not sure about this, but aren't there rules about smoking in 'public spaces' or, in the case of your block of flats 'co-owned' spaces? What does the management company rules say about this?

In immediate terms, I wonder if you could do something to 'smoke proof' your front door, so less manages to get in? I don't know whether a draught excluder would help, or putting foam-tape around the inner door jamb to create a better seal?

I would argue that you certain have a right to a smoke free environment in your own home!!

Sadly, the neighbours sounds more than 'difficult' - she sounds like she's an addict as well. Hopefully she will soon be in a residential care home, though of course the council would prefer to keep on as they are, just sending care-workers round.

As for whether care-workers are allowed to smoke in their clients' homes, I don't know. Others here might? They wouldn't be allowed to smoke if their caree didn't smoke (I would think???), but that might not apply if the caree has 'given permission' for the care-worker to smoke while attending her?

Please don't be upset by Zelda's post - it's highly unusual on this forum for ANYONE to 'have a go' at any other member! Not done!
jenny lucas wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:30 pm
Zelda - this is a supportive and sympathetic forum! I appreciate English may not be your first language, but your post did come across as impatient, to say the very least!

There's always a divide between smokers and non-smokers that can never be bridged - smokers can think non-smokers kick up about nothing (!), and non-smokes can think smokers are just imposing their own choices on hapless others, to their detriment.

If, for example, the neighbour were playing heavy loud rock music day and night, that would be unacceptable and unneighbourly. Smoking is the same - it's one person imposing their lifestyle choices on another.

Not acceptable.
What exactly do you mean” English not your fist language”?....The lady is smoking in HER FLAT.....is it right to report a carer?
Without proof?.......and by the way this is not a perfect English forum........
Zelda, I was trying to be polite to you, giving you an excuse for why you were being so rude to a fellow poster. But clearly that forebearance is lost on you.

Reporting your post immediately.
Dear Zelda

May I suggest you read our Community Guidelines here:

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... ines-21290
Community Guidelines

In summary, we ask everyone to:
• Be respectful
• Be supportive
• Be sensitive to how others may be feeling
• Use the forum primarily to give and receive support
• Help to make the forum easy to use for other members

1. Be respectful

We want our online community to be welcoming and supportive and also a place where people can express themselves freely about their caring situations. We understand people will have different opinions, but please respect other people's right to disagree with you.

Please consider the tone of your posts - giving strong, judgmental opinions about another person's personal circumstances and choices can be upsetting to that individual and may put them off posting on the forum, especially if the person posting is new to the forum and has not been involved in an online community before. Try to base replies on the information given, rather than make assumptions about a person's circumstances.
I have already replied to your other post pointing out that this forum is for those caring for family and /or friends in an unpaid and non professional capacity where they can receive peer support and advice and we are not able to give advice to professional carers who have a union and who can get advice from ACAS.

If you intend to stay around this forum I would remind you that the very people you are alienating with your comments are those may require your services as a professional carer in the future. Frankly with the attitude you have shown towards our members so far I wouldn't want you anywhere near my friends are family.
Hello Rebecca

I'm sorry to hear of the problem you have with your neighbour. When I lived in a block of flats the inside communal areas were definitely designated and signed as non-smoking areas as required by law. If you have proof that someone is flouting this ruling then you should get in touch with either the freeholders or the managing agents and let them know so that they can take action.

With regard to your neighbour smoking in her own flat I don't think there is an awful lot that you can do other than maybe try to have a quiet word and explain to them calmly how it affects you and your child (although I see that you have tried that avenue already without any success).

Do you own your own flat or do you rent ? If you rent perhaps your landlord could intervene ?
If rented is it a private of council let ? If it's a council let perhaps the council could intervene ?

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. but other than you moving I can't see a way round the problem.
Quite a bit on the Internet ... SMOKING PRIVATE RESIDENCE CARE WORKER ... also happens to be their place of work ... not a simple as it first appears.

One link MAY be of assistance :

https://worksmart.org.uk/health-advice/ ... me-passive

Add on a communial area ... great fun if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction ... some merely a few feet square , workplace or flat complexes.

As Susie mentioned , if a tenant , what does the Lease have to say on the subject ?

If silent , that means a potential civil action.

An eviction through smoking ?

I came across one dispute involving wind chimes ... a wind tunnel whenever one opened the doors on that floor at either end ...numerous other irritants out there when some have to live virtually on top of one another.

Private residence ... also place of work ... over to the legal eagles out there.
Hi Rebecca
Mrs Practical here :)
There are some very good, cheap draught excluders that you could put around your door to stop most of the smoke getting in. Then having done your door you could offer to do the neighbour's for her too, but to stop "the draughts and keep the heating bills down". Could probably do 2 doors for less than £10-20

Worth a try?

MrsA