Can my wife, who I care for run a business from home?

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't had the heart to look at these replys until this morning - thanks ever so much for the support! We're just off to the Doctors this morning and I'll read them more closely later.

The business has made hardly anything since April and i wonder if I should just pack it in - but then I've put so much into it I can't bear to to.

We've a new problem (cheery aren't I? Image ) , the rent's going up by £50/month and HB doesn't give us enough in the first place.

And we've just discussed me getting a job - but where on earth do I find an employer who will only employ me enough hours to earn £20/week - that's nearly impossible isn't it? What use is that to any employer?

All the best,

Beeswax

ps. I'll post something a bit more fun - I promise - maybe something about our dog - we've renamed him Asbo!
Hi Beeswax

Thanks for updating us and don't feel like your post aren't cheery for us to read, we are Carers - nuff said... Image

I'm sure that you could get an employer willing to give you a few hours a week, what sort of thing would you want to do? Though is it difficult to get your wife cared for this time? This is the problem that I have, I would be working to pay to get Mum cared for!

So you have renamed your dog Asbo, must be a naughty doggie... Image

Keep us posted!

Take care
Maryannx
the weekly earnings limit is pretty well meaningless for people in self employment...do you count the invoices that get sent out or the income that eventually comes in? What happens when you receive £1,000 in one week and nothing the next? I'm completely baffled by the system, and dreading what happens if someone from the IR decides to challenge my own interpretation of the rules when I file my tax return.
Hi Excalibur, I attended an Inland Revenue one day course which gave advice on how to self assess. I was able to ask some questions - and found the teacher very helpful - no sense that they were snooping. Maybe contact your local IR office to see if they do any courses.

I think that your income from business, like mine is, will be averaged out over the year or monthly if monitored by IS and CA. Remember it's only the net profit (or net loss) that counts.

beeswax

So you have renamed your dog Asbo, must be a naughty doggie... Image
yes, he's a bit of a live wire Image Quite a good laugh - much cheaper and much more fun than a drinking habit!

beeswax
Just another point - I think that the government want us carers to stay at home because it's much cheaper for them if we do (paraphrased from something that I half heard on the radio). They certainly don't seem to make it very easy to get a job.

But self employment has a significant role for carers. It brings hope, self esteem, morale, a boredom cure etc. It certainly gives me something to do - I'm only 37 - I don't want to take out my wife and sit in cafes eating cakes all day every day - I'm sure, as well, that even this modest pass time would be difficult to achieve for some. So self employment really can be an antidote to some of the problems brought on by being stuck in the house with a small income. And ultimately, hopefully, it might bring freedom from the welfare state, that although is a wonderful safety net, is very restrictive. We should be given grants to start up a business.

I've included a link to an Ebay dealer, some of you may have come accross him. Maybe you can find some ideas? I've dropped him a line to point out our discussion here. but you can have a quick look at his ebay shop by clicking on the link below:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/cornucopiabooks

Btw. Having an asbo dog also brings a good deal of laughter and release!

All the best,

Beeswax
Here's the link to Roy's online bookshop:

http://www.cornucopiabooks.co.uk/

I think you'll like it...

beeswax
Here's the link to Roy's online bookshop]http://www.cornucopiabooks.co.uk/[/url]

I think you'll like it...

beeswax
I am grateful to beeswax for the link and will return later with more thoughts on the subject. Meanwhile, we are off for hydrotherapy]http://www.cornucopiaantiques-collectab ... Hydro.html[/url]
"But self employment has a significant role for carers. It brings hope, self esteem, morale, a boredom cure etc. It certainly gives me something to do"

I have picked up on this point made in Fred's post. I am actually the cared-for, not the carer. When I came out after 9 months in hospital, what I could do physically was very limited but my mind remained very active.

I was in receipt of full mobility and care DLA which was the key to our financial survival. It is about the only benefit that is not means tested. Prior to being ill I was retired, so my circumstances were somewhat different from Fred and Phyllis.

However, first I determined that the Internet would be my window on the world and invested part of my mobility allowance in Broadband. With it I "travelled" the world. I was resonably computer literate and had dealt in antiques and collectables prior to retirement.

The mental exercise of grappling with technology and a prior knowledge of eBay led me down that path, but my activities were and still are a therapeutic hobby. Part of that hobby is to use many years of business and other experience to run an attractive and efficient operation. I do keep basic accounts, but once I take out all the legitimate expenses, there is no (taxable) profit. What I do with my (abundant) free time is my business and should be of no interest or concern to the infernal revenue or anyone else.

If I can help in any way with benefits, or business advice you are welcome to contact me. I will stress that each individual's circumstances are different and you need to take an holistic view - which is also how I cope with my disabilities.

Previous posts have covered aspects of hours of work and other benefits. Someone on full-rate disability living allowance is not expected to work and a full-time carer has no time to work. That is the stance that is/should be taken by officialdom. Now read between the lines Image