[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Blue Badge rules - Carers UK Forum

Blue Badge rules

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
My elderly Mum has a blue badge which she uses every time I take her out in the car. Sometimes we use it when I take her to hairdressers. There's a small area outside with single yellow line. I put badge and clock up and take her in. I then leave car there for about an hour while she gets hair done then we go home.

Does this sound OK or am I supposed to move car while she's in there? I've been doing it for 7 years and have never been challenged so I am guessing it's OK. I have looked in rule book and can't find anything about it.

A link would help me settle a family argument. :roll: :whistle:
My understanding is that it is ok to leave it there so long as you are not causing an obstruction to other users. I don't think the rules differ for wether it is the badge holder or carer who is driving so if you weren't with your mum, she would need to leave it there anyway. Also she would need to be able to get back into the vehicle and should you move it while she was getting her hair done, someone else might occupy the space and she would have difficulty getting back to the car.
If you are worried about the car getting knocked, I would move it anyway but I don't think you have to.
Sounds fine to me. When I had a blue badge, the issuing authority, i.e. the County Council, gave me a guide/rule book as to when and where it could, and could not, be used. If there's a family dispute, rather than make it your word against them, try to get a copy of the rule book, find the relevant section, and show it to those disagreeing? Of course, they could always take her to the hairdresser?!?! (No, I thought not?!)
Hi Penny

as I recall it is OK to park on a single yellow line as long as you are not causing an obstruction, but definitely can't park on double yellow lines or red ones.

Have a look here for further information
https://www.gov.uk/where-registered-dis ... s-can-park
Henrietta wrote:My understanding is that it is ok to leave it there so long as you are not causing an obstruction to other users. I don't think the rules differ for wether it is the badge holder or carer who is driving so if you weren't with your mum, she would need to leave it there anyway. Also she would need to be able to get back into the vehicle and should you move it while she was getting her hair done, someone else might occupy the space and she would have difficulty getting back to the car.
If you are worried about the car getting knocked, I would move it anyway but I don't think you have to.
No, not worried about getting it knocked just that I'm doing things properly.
bowlingbun wrote:Sounds fine to me. When I had a blue badge, the issuing authority, i.e. the County Council, gave me a guide/rule book as to when and where it could, and could not, be used. If there's a family dispute, rather than make it your word against them, try to get a copy of the rule book, find the relevant section, and show it to those disagreeing? Of course, they could always take her to the hairdresser?!?! (No, I thought not?!)
I can't find anything about it in the rule book which comes with the badge.

It's so funny you suggesting someone else take her :lol: That's how this has arisen. Brother had to take her .... First time in his life, as I was busy elsewhere. I gave her the badge for him to use so she would be right outside the shop and he told her I shouldn't be leaving the car there while she was in there. he doesn't speak to me so I can't discuss! Mum seems to believe him over me for some reason. :roll: I am sure I am doing nothing wrong as I've parked in same place with badge displayed for 7 years and the traffic warden is often around and we've never been challenged yet.
Penny I just found this in an article which I assume is accurate; it says you can park for up to 3 hours on a yellow line:

http://www.disabledtraveladvice.co.uk/b ... ained.html

It seems like common sense to me; if your mum were driving the car herself she wouldn't be able to drop herself off and then move the car?! Love the way people who don't help out much know so much about it all ;)
MumWhoCares wrote:Penny I just found this in an article which I assume is accurate; it says you can park for up to 3 hours on a yellow line:

http://www.disabledtraveladvice.co.uk/b ... ained.html

It seems like common sense to me; if your mum were driving the car herself she wouldn't be able to drop herself off and then move the car?! Love the way people who don't help out much know so much about it all ;)
Thanks for that Mumwhocares. :kiss: will print that off and make sure Mum understands.
AND Brother!!