Anyone on this site self employed and a carer?

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
I work as a swimming teacher for a few hours a week as self employed person.

As soon as you mention you are self employed - all government departments think you are a millionaire hiding funds from them.

It seem to work out ok so far, I was wondering if anyone else was in this situtation?
I only work on a friday for a few hours, and my partner works from home so he does the scholl run etc and the caring part.......
Unfortunately there are quite a few individuals who abuse the system and do not declare their true earnings as self employed. Hence the Government departments try and find out as much as possible about the exact position. A consequence of that is that people such as carers who can only afford to spend a few hours carrying out their self employed work have to follow the same procedures as wealthy business people.
Unfortunately there are quite a few individuals who abuse the system and do not declare their true earnings as self employed. Hence the Government departments try and find out as much as possible about the exact position. A consequence of that is that people such as carers who can only afford to spend a few hours carrying out their self employed work have to follow the same procedures as wealthy business people.
Sorry, must have missed this when it was posted. I'm self employed and the lack of advice on the Carers Allowance government website is very notable. In fact the procedures for filling tax returns and so on arent really that bad if you earn under £4,000 a year, very basic online return, but there are good free advice seminars available and these are well worth the time. The main difference is that you have to average your earning over a long period, as self employment income is all over the place. The other thing is working out what you can claim as legitimate business expenses - it's a long and complicated list.
So far I haven't found the government departments that suspicious, but keeping good paper records is certainly essential right from day one.
Sorry, must have missed this when it was posted. I'm self employed and the lack of advice on the Carers Allowance government website is very notable. In fact the procedures for filling tax returns and so on arent really that bad if you earn under £4,000 a year, very basic online return, but there are good free advice seminars available and these are well worth the time. The main difference is that you have to average your earning over a long period, as self employment income is all over the place. The other thing is working out what you can claim as legitimate business expenses - it's a long and complicated list.
So far I haven't found the government departments that suspicious, but keeping good paper records is certainly essential right from day one.
Very good advice, this is something that maybe CUK could do a bit on. It can be a costly mistake doing something wrong, and ignorance of the system is not a good enough excuse for the taxman.
I was self employed for 3 years and loved it, as an avon rep, unfortunately my carer duties have become 24/7 and had to give it up.
I only ever filled in the short tax form which is very easy and i found the revenue staff very helpful,they told me what expenses I could claim for and at no time did I ever feel uncomfortable with them.
they went through my first tax return a question at a time over the phone(they called me back) I was also told to apply for a NI exemption form as my earnings were below the tax limit.

Just remember though your carers allowance is TAXABLE and must be added to any income you earn so really you can earn very little.
Thanks for all your advice.

I have now been self employed for nearly two years and everything is great.

My first tax return went in and was pretty easy to do.

As I am under the threshold so not had to pay any tax.

As others have said more information needs to be available for people in this situation.

All the best
I was self employed for 3 years and loved it, as an avon rep, unfortunately my carer duties have become 24/7 and had to give it up.
I only ever filled in the short tax form which is very easy and i found the revenue staff very helpful,they told me what expenses I could claim for and at no time did I ever feel uncomfortable with them.
they went through my first tax return a question at a time over the phone(they called me back) I was also told to apply for a NI exemption form as my earnings were below the tax limit.

Just remember though your carers allowance is TAXABLE and must be added to any income you earn so really you can earn very little.
I've found the key is having fun spending money on things like new computers and fancy mobile phones that are essential for your business, and help to keep your profits lower. Much of your phone bill and internet connection is tax deductible, etc etc. All slightly perverse, but worth getting on top of.