Advice please

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hi. New to forum so hope posted in correct section! I am a full time carer for family -16 years now! Advice I need is actually for friend who is full time carer to family member too! My friends partner has become confused and started to wander at all times! Where can she go advice on some form of alarm system? Only option I can come up with is fitting lock on inside of door high up! I also suggested Social Services but she felt would not be much help! Any suggestions or advice would be great thank-you ... ducts.html ... chnology/4

You have not stated the medical diagnosis but there above maybe of some use.
Thank-you so much for info! Unfortunatelly at present my friends partner has no diagnosis and is awaiting neurology appointment.
Hi, bit belatedly, but here goes.

The issue of 'locking in' those with dimished mental capacity, even for their own safety, can be legally tricky! I don't think anyone can 'officially' recommend it for that reason. Even care homes for those with dementia have to tread cautiously - there's something called DOLS - Deprivation of Liberty I think it is - that they have to 'undertake' at some stage if the resident gets too bad, but it has to be 'signed up to' etc.

My MIL kept trying to 'escape' from her care homes, and I know that in the second one she had a DOLS in place so the staff were allowed to 'bring her back' (not saying 'forcibly' but could insist on it - she once hit out at them - there had to be two, I remember that, and it all had to be recorded etc etc.)

In the end she had to move to a 'secure' home, ie, one that had a wing for 'wanderers' eg, the lift had to have a code to make it work, and the stairs had stair gates on them. None of the poor folk there could possibly remember a code for the lift, or make the stair gate open. Whether that 'deprives them of their liberty' I'm not sure....??

In practice though, when someone with diminishing mental capacity is still living 'at home', such safeguards are often resorted to (again, fundamentally for safeguarding). I've heard of folk using stairgates, and locking the front door (and garden door), and taking the keys out of the lock.

It's intensely worrying. I know of someone whose dad got out of the house and wandered off down the high street. He 'seemed lost' and someone spoke to him, and realised he had dementia, and phoned the police, who then phoned his family.

I'm not sure what difference, legally, a formal diagnosis of dementi has on the DOLS issue - as in, at what point can one 'legally' deprive them of their libetry, if they live at home??
Definitely contact Social Services for a full Needs Assessment and Carers Assessment. Is her husband in receipt of Attendance Allowance? Claiming exemption from Council Tax due to "severe mental impairment". Because diagnosis or not, he has special needs now.
I forgot to mention that Social Services can arrange for an occupational therapist to visit, who can advise about how to keep your friend's husband safe. There are an increasing number of electronic devices available to help. I don't use these with my caree, so not an expert at all, but I know they can help, both keeping someone in, alerting someone of they go out, and tracking them once they have left the house. As the population becomes more top heavy thanks to the post war baby boomers (like me!) this sort of thing aimed at keeping people safe in their own homes is now recognised as being vital.
I understand that the Alzheimer's Society is really good, so encourage your friend to look at their website. I know that where I live they have their own support team, and cover a wide range of illnesses under the general umbrella of dementia.
The most difficult part of all this is the acknowledgement and acceptance that this may be the diagnosis. The first step can be the hardest of all.