Hello All /New to the forum + dealing with agency carers?

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Sorry for not getting back to you BB. My video doorbell is a Ring brand. It is doorbell with motion detection. Battery or wired. Stores video to cloud storage for a fee. Other versions are available. Useful for monitoring carers'comings and goings! Available on line, Amazon/Argos/Currys etc
Spot on Jenny.

The issue I have is that they are so quick that any tasks I need doing upstairs ( my dad sleeps in the living room) I try to do so when they are here and by the time they go, they are out of the door before I can say anything.

They rush so much that in the moment they are here, I feel like I am just inconveniencing them. One of the carers has brought her grandson now 3 times to the house, like it's not fair on the child let alone.

Gearing up tonight to talk to the evening carers about last nights visit though-didn't have the best of days yesterday and one of dads old work friends popped by whilst the carers were here-as usual they rushed but also they seemed a bit short with me. I just need to find the courage to do so, really don't like confrontation.
It is completely out of order to bring a child into your house, uninvited!!

They should not leave until you say it's all OK either.
The trouble is that carers are badly paid and thin on the ground (the two factors are not unconnected!). Presumably they are rushing not because they want to go and put their feet up somewhere, but because they have to get to the next job pronto, etc etc.

It's a vicious circle - if they are badly/poorly paid and 'overworked' (given too many carees to look after) they will inevitably 'skimp', and in such poor working conditions it will be hard to find a queue of 'volunteers' to do their jobs! As usual, we get what we pay for, and we (ie, society) does not like to pay much for looking after the elderly, whoever is doing it (ie, family on Carers Allowance or professional care-workers in minimum wages etc etc.)

That all said, if you feel you aren't getting what is being paid for then yes you must take issue. It's always hard to 'call it' when it comes to confrontation - if you are 'too tough' it can be counterproductive (they hate you and their caree!), and if you are too soft they take you for a sucker....
jenny lucas wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:37 pm
The trouble is that carers are badly paid and thin on the ground (the two factors are not unconnected!). Presumably they are rushing not because they want to go and put their feet up somewhere, but because they have to get to the next job pronto, etc etc.

It's a vicious circle - if they are badly/poorly paid and 'overworked' (given too many carees to look after) they will inevitably 'skimp', and in such poor working conditions it will be hard to find a queue of 'volunteers' to do their jobs! As usual, we get what we pay for, and we (ie, society) does not like to pay much for looking after the elderly, whoever is doing it (ie, family on Carers Allowance or professional care-workers in minimum wages etc etc.)

That all said, if you feel you aren't getting what is being paid for then yes you must take issue. It's always hard to 'call it' when it comes to confrontation - if you are 'too tough' it can be counterproductive (they hate you and their caree!), and if you are too soft they take you for a sucker....

Come Monday morning, I am going to ring up the care agency to raise these issues as its really starting to get to me, I spend too much time worrying about this and its just draining. I am going to write a little list of bulletpoints before I call.

I was meant to call yesterday but I chickened out/ worrying about the implications, then last night we waited over two hours for them to come- all to spend 5mins ( bearing in mind, he had just threw up) I used to think the carers rushed due to being overworked but with it happening all the time, I feel they are just abusing the system as they can get away with it. And it's a shame as they know what they are doing and when they do spend the time, they are great?!

Thank you all for your input, I really can't express enough how much this has helped me.
One of the issues I raised at safeguarding was that a carer would bring her son into the house - a huge issue for the LA re liability and endangerment.
Hi,
The care worker should definitely not be bringing a child in with her! Can you imagine going to see your GP and them saying, I hope you don't mind but I brought my daughter to work today! This brings up all sorts of issues re insurance, safeguarding etc

I have issues re timings with our care agency too. If the time they record in the file is more than a couple of minutes out, I write in the correct time of arrival. They are meant to log in by a freephone number using our phone, but of course only do this on the days they are early/ on time! On one occasion where the care worker was so late, it was pointless coming, I rang head office ( the local office doesn't open early enough.) If you don't let them know there is a problem, they can't remedy it. It may be something as simple as jiggling the order of calls or allowing an additional 5 minutes travel time.

Melly1