[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
WHEELCHAIRS - Carers UK Forum

WHEELCHAIRS

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi. I have had my 92 year old Mum with me since November. She was very frail and slept most of the time at first. Now with good food and looking after she is much stronger, although she cant walk, she does move herself about in her wheelchair. It is the outdoor type with 4 small wheels. I have taken the foot rests off and she shuffles about in it. Alas the poor doorframes are getting bashed a bit. I was wondering if a lightweight wheelchair would be better for indoors. Not sure if one with 4 small wheels or the big back wheels would be better. If anyone else has had similar problems I would appreciate any suggestions please.
Mig, unfortunately I dont have an answer to your wheelchair problem - I jjust wanted to give you a pat on the back for the improvement in your Mum

Linda
Hi and a warm welcome to the forum from me.

Karen
Hi Mig and welcome Image Well done on the improvement to your mum Image
If she is moving herself around, the wheelchair with the big wheels might be better and easier for her to move and manouvre, which might help the doorframes (I just touch mine up all the time and it's me, not him that hits them!!)
If you can, take your mum with you to get a new wheelchair as they do come in different widths and sizes. If you can too, try and get referred to wheelchair services, though be warned, it could be a very long wait!
Thank you to all my received messages. Although my Mum is stronger I am not gonna say it is easy having her live with me. She has calmed down a bit now but at first I got shouted at, sworn at, things thrown at me and even told I was adopted? I know that is not true, cos my Mum couldnt, and wouldnt, have waited until I am 63 to tell me that little snippet of information. lol. Image
LOL at the adopted thing Image

Its funny, I always joke that I must be adopted because I am so different from my over-fussy- mad mother!

Linda
Thank you to all my received messages. Although my Mum is stronger I am not gonna say it is easy having her live with me. She has calmed down a bit now but at first I got shouted at, sworn at, things thrown at me and even told I was adopted? I know that is not true, cos my Mum couldnt, and wouldnt, have waited until I am 63 to tell me that little snippet of information. lol. Image
Welcome to the forum MIG. There were times I used to hope that I had been adopted! So pleased that your Mum is improving, good on ya!

Bell