[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Welcome to all the newbies - Carers UK Forum

Welcome to all the newbies

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
We have had a lot of new members posting over the weekend so I'd just like to welcome you all to the forum. Please also take time to look around the rest of the website. There's lots of useful information in the er...information section (obviously!) and also you can find out a bit more about carers UK. We are the only national charity that has been set up by carers themselves and is still governed by carers.

I'd be intersted to know how you all heard about the forum?

Matt
(I'm a member of staff at Carers UK - Communications and campaigns Manager)
We have had a lot of new members posting over the weekend so I'd just like to welcome you all to the forum. Please also take time to look around the rest of the website. There's lots of useful information in the er...information section (obviously!) and also you can find out a bit more about carers UK. We are the only national charity that has been set up by carers themselves and is still governed by carers.

I'd be intersted to know how you all heard about the forum?

Matt
(I'm a member of staff at Carers UK - Communications and campaigns Manager)
Hi Matt.Well it was whilst reading my newsletter from Gateway To Care this month that i noticed a few links one of which was Carers UK so i thought what the hell let me join in.Have joined 2 other forums as well and am kept busy with em all and its nice to communicate with others in the same boat as myself.Keep up the good work Image
Hi Matt

I heard about you from both my own and my Mum's GPs when she was diagnosed with dementia last year, but only decided to get in touch when her illness started to get worse.

Lots of lovely people to chat with and real advice from real people who've been there, done that and GOT the T shirt !

keep up the good work

susieq
Hi Matt
Found the Forum when searching for help as a carer, feeling very desperate at the time, I was so glad to find it, it really has helped me as I'm sure it has done to others.

Thank you and Keep up the good work

Dolphy
Hi Matt

I only joined yesterday, but I found the forum a while ago when searching for help as a carer. I'm not very good at talking about how I feel, but I find it helpful to read the forum and know there are other people out there who know about caring. Keep up the good work, Bluebird
Hi Matt,

I found the site because I was looking for support for when I move home cos I'll be moving MILES away. The good thing about this is I can take you lot with me wherever I go. Image

Rie
Hi Matt,

I too found the site when searching for carers information. Keep up the good work. Image Image
Hello Matt
I also found you when I was at the end of my teather so to speak. I just put in "Carers" and up you came. That was back in April, It's taken me until now to get involved. Now you cant shut me up!
I did have trouble joining as your site didn't like my email address. Christine Swarbeck? is it? had to set up a new one for me, just for you.
Love this site. Getting in trouble for being on it for too long. My Caree says "I dont care!"
Image Image Pete
Love this site. Getting in trouble for being on it for too long. My Caree says "I dont care!"
Image Image Pete
Its a tricky one, but you cant be a good carer unless you are well informed and able to take advantage of the help that is there. The sooner you do this on your caring career path, the smoother the ride.

I joined Carers National Association (as it was then) way back in 1991 or so, thanks to a personal recommendation from another carer, and I've never missed a sub since, because membership is great value for money. Along with the good company and comradeship, knowing about the benefits and support available has saved my family thousands of pounds over the years and also helped us in negotiating complex assessments and support services.

Caring is not just about hands on skills, it's also about taking control of your situation and that means keeping well informed not just about the benefits available to you now, but also those that you may be able to claim in future. And as at one time or another there have been around 20 different benefits we have been able to claim, (even including things like free cinema tickets and bus travel) it is a complex business.

I now think of caring as a professional job with a lot to learn, not just a vocation.

My best tip to any new carer? Insist that your caree write their will and also a full power of attorney now to enable you to manage their affairs if they become incapable - don't leave it even for another day. You will need both documents eventually, and you never know when. These documents are not optional - they are essential and if you don't get them signed you will create huge future problems for yourself. And they are both cheap to obtain - a good local solicitor will not charge much for them or you can even use a DIY kit if you are confident of your skills.
Hi Matt.

My name is Dave and i phoned Carers Uk and talk to a Matt, maybe it was you, then i went onto the net and found this site, glad i did it is very helpful, hope to add to the forum soon, and hope i don't make an ash of things, a big Hello to every one, keep smiling and don't let life grind you down, after all we have a great job to do, being carers.

Good luck every one

Dave.