wanting to work vs. partner's loneliness

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hello John,

Sounds like your moving in the right direction. I work 30 hours per week, and it has been a life line, and being as it is school term time, even better. If I had just been caring 24/7 as some carer's have to do - so no choice, I'd have gone mad.

I became a member of the 'maintenance team', so setting up and clearing after breaks and lunchtimes, then onto my second contract to do the cleaning in the cookery department. It was a bit of a change from admin and nursing, but the best job I could have wished for. I never in a million years thought I would have done this, but needs must, hours and holidays and the opportunity made me apply, and I've never looked back.

When you look for your job, be very open minded about what you would do, even if he pay is rubbish. I get, for the moment, working tax credits, so that too is an added bonus.

Hope you are well and suitably enthused! Take care and good luck Image
Together we have come up with a plan that could work, it's restrictive at the moment but the idea I had was to first introduce my partner to the idea that I may have a job, but one that doesn't require any changes to his daily routine - future alterations can be dealt with once the initial hurdle has been crossed.....

What I proposed (and what he agreed to) was that from 5am to 10am, Monday to Saturday, I could work, plus 2 or 3 evenings if necessary from 5pm to 10pm, to make up my weekly hours to at least 24.... this way we could get tax credits, and I would have a job to preserve some of my sanity....

I was considering looking for something that would enable me to keep my Carers Allowance but in retrospect the loss of the family's Income Support would make that option more of a detriment than a benefit.

I'm going to look for any work that would fit in with these hours, contacting Taxi companies, supermarkets, factories, care homes, any business that would be operational at the times I am free... although I've got various professional qualifications, my initial job searching is going to be for anything that fits, be it cleaning, flipping burgers or anything in between....
Well done john, you are obviously making progress.
although I've got various professional qualifications, my initial job searching is going to be for anything that fits, be it cleaning, flipping burgers or anything in between....
Its a good idea. When I returned to work my first job was cleaning toilets Image but it fitted in with my caring duties (I also had young children at the time) and over time I got better jobs so that now I am able to work using my qualifications. With the hours that you want you may well find that cleaning offices is the thing - its quite fun using the big industrial floor cleaners Image