TO ALL NEWBIES - ESSENTIAL READING

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
There is a book that has been mentioned on this forum many times which should be mandatory reading for all Carers. the title is THE SELFISH PIG'S GUIDE TO CARING written by Hugh Marriott and published by Polperro Heritage Press. New it retails at £9.95 but you can get a used copy via Amazon from £3 - £4.

Apart from giving lots of information about where to go for what and who to contact; it also puts into words a lot of the emotions that we carers go through.

"It's thought-provoking, informative and brutally frank, but also funny and moving. This is a must read for anyone involved with caring." Alison Ryan, Chief Executive, The Pricess Royal Trust for Carers."

Personally I loved it - it gave me permission to voice what I was feeling about my role as a Carer and has helped to quell my feelings of guilt when I feel overwhelmed by the situation.
Yeah i got one and started reading it but never got around to reading anymore lol
Yeah i got one and started reading it but never got around to reading anymore lol
Me too JohnT, its my bedtime reading, but I'm always to exhausted to read by the time my head hits the pillow Image I've heard great reports about it though Susieq, so maybe we should pick it up again and finish it this time Image
Me too JohnT, its my bedtime reading, but I'm always to exhausted to read by the time my head hits the pillow Image I've heard great reports about it though Susieq, so maybe we should pick it up again and finish it this time Image
give it another go Blue - you don't have to read it like a novel, you can 'dip' into it anytime. Hugh Marriott suggests you could leave it by the loo (!) for a quick read when you need to 'concentrate' Image Image
Ive said it before and I'll say it again. This book saved my life! Without it I dont know how I would have coped. As Susieq says, it answers all those questions about feelings of guilt and my God I had a few!!
You dont have to read it like a book. Each chapter is taylored to each carers needs, so just dip into it now and then.
I can tell you I laughed and cried my way through, cover to cover. Brilliant!!!

Pete
I put it by my bed last night and will have another look through. I don't know anyone who has read it that doesn't say its great.

Blue Image
I like this book because it 's saved my sanity a few times, it's easy to read even when exahausted, it's written by a carer, and it mentions a lot of stuff that other books aimed at carers don't.
The chapters are:
Warning
Why care at all?
What if you didn't care?
You're on your own
Are you the one who needs looking after?
Remember you're a professional
Officialdom and Chaos Theory
Your body
Sex
Your mind
Burnout
Pushing them down the stairs
New money
The hands on the clock
Give me a break
The independance catch
Is there anyone out there?
The messy stuff
Getting information
Tips which the experts don't give you
Young carers
Afterwards

BTW it's designed to let you dip in and out depending on which bits you need most (my copy has shaded chapter indexing on the page edges). So don't feel guilty if you can't read cover to cover, or prefer not to.
Yes a wonderful book Catja. It too saved my sanity several times over. Truly a Godsend to me!!!