[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Supporting carers - Andrew Marr & Jackie Ashley - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Supporting carers - Andrew Marr & Jackie Ashley

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
OP's user stats remain at (over 24 hours since my last post):
Last visited: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:37 am
Search user’s posts
(0.00% of all posts / 0.09 posts per day) Most active forum: New to the forum?
(1 Post / 100.00% of user’s posts) Most active topic: Supporting carers - Andrew Marr & Jackie Ashley
(1 Post / 100.00% of user’s posts)
Any explanation? Or, more importantly, any justification, as to why this very obvious, and dubious, "marketing" thread, remains in place?

Always be wary of system generated name suffixes - Janet_16021 - where 16021 relates to what? 16 = 2016, 02 = Month 2 (February), 1 = first record of that name for that month.
Seoc an Aonaidh wrote:

Always be wary of system generated name suffixes - Janet_16021 - where 16021 relates to what? 16 = 2016, 02 = Month 2 (February), 1 = first record of that name for that month.
Janet_16021 equals -

Janet = new member's Christian name
16 = joined 2016
02 = February
1 = 1st member with Christian name 'Janet' in this time period

(if the number was 16021234 it would indicate 2016, February, 4th member with the name Janet in this period)

When anyone joins Carers UK the system generates a user name which they can change at anytime via the User Control Panel.
Which is pretty much what I said.

As of 00:31 24/02/2016, the user stats for JANET_16021 are:
Last visited: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:37 am

Search user’s posts
(0.00% of all posts / 0.08 posts per day)

Most active forum: New to the forum?

Most active topic: Supporting carers - Andrew Marr & Jackie Ashley
http://www.carersuk.org/forum/members/16453

The original post for this thread was made between 11:30 am and 11:37 am on Fri Feb 12, 2016. The OP has not logged into the site since making that post.
in a way, I'm not surprised the OP hasn't shown up since - we did all rather hammer her! (!!!!!!)

I suspect her post was effectively 'marketing' but on the other hand, the underlying cause was 'good' (if subject to criticism re effectiveness), and it was probably just one of a whole swathe of postings she did by way of advertising the event.

Speaking entirely personally, in the great scheme of things, and having seen some of the other oddball or very obviously commercially oriented 'one off' postings here over the months, I don't think this one was particularly grievous!

And if we hadn't all had a discussion here about whether such events achieved anything useful for carers, it would have sunk all by itself down the list anyway. :) :)
I think the discussion was useful, and removing the original post would make it hard to follow or make a decision about. I'd prefer the whole to stay than the whole to go.
Greta, I totally agree. If the thread is to remain, then so should the original post. Maybe it will help people understand the many levels involved when it comes to fund raising, awareness, and the ultimate motives of those who are fortunate enough, to allow their familiar names (often in return for some kind of favour), to be used in support of the many excellent causes. Causes, whose primary aim is to help those in need.

Apologies, but I'll always question the motives of those, who through celebrity, try to associate themselves with such causes. Their motives are not always honourable, as personal gain and public perception, is often a major driving force. Not necessarily a personal decision, but often one placed upon them, by their agents, the media etc.

There are many celebrities, and well known people, who give up a great deal of their time, for a wide range of charities, for no return, and no personal gain. Those are the ones I respect.