[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Struggling in limbo - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Struggling in limbo

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
74 posts
Tricky decision, I was in similar boat and I chose to leave work. I opted to look after Dad which turned out to last 5 years- much longer than I would have anticipated given all his health issues. I opted to do part time care work along side caring for dad which gave me an outside interest, different faces, a flexible and understanding employer and I still work for them. Sometimes life changes and you need to just let go of past jobs- unless you love it and really enjoy working there it may be time for a change anyway? To give a different perspective I have never had any regrets whatso ever about leaving the awful job I was in before, even though at the time it seemed a really hard decision.
Henrietta wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:06 pm
Tricky decision, I was in similar boat and I chose to leave work. I opted to look after Dad which turned out to last 5 years- much longer than I would have anticipated given all his health issues. I opted to do part time care work along side caring for dad which gave me an outside interest, different faces, a flexible and understanding employer and I still work for them. Sometimes life changes and you need to just let go of past jobs- unless you love it and really enjoy working there it may be time for a change anyway? To give a different perspective I have never had any regrets whatso ever about leaving the awful job I was in before, even though at the time it seemed a really hard decision.
I have only been in this job for just over a year and work part time evening hours due to caring for my Dad which they know about. Before this job I was on carers allowance and jobseekers allowance for just over a year. The job telephone customer service is OK but unfortunately I work in the only department in the company which is not flexible where you can work from home. Dad is getting better slowly but I think recovery from this will be long.
Any chance you could move to one of the flexi-working departments???!!
jenny lucas wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:26 pm
Any chance you could move to one of the flexi-working departments???!!
I have asked but unfortunately most of those positions are full time. Coincidentally I would have been a part time care worker if I did not take this job as I was offered both jobs at the same time last year.
After a week of my Dad being in hospital for a c. diff. infection, they say he is ready for discharge just waiting for me to say what day!. He seems a little better but still has some pain and is still on antibiotics and in a side room. His appetite is still low as well - hospital food not great. Seems rushed again. Will try to delay discharge for a few days especially as I believe the hospital are at fault for the infection getting this far.

Also received letter from social services which says we are not eligible for funding for social care and have to pay, which is as I suspected.
Hospital discharge ?

Best to repeat the link to the NHS Bible :

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-se ... -hospital/

If every NHS hospital follwed the rules , they would NOT be thousands of unsafe hospital discharges ... would there ???

Be very vary of that NHS dumpster truck ... it might be stopping at your home next on it's route.

On many manors , more frequent than the rubbish bin collectors ... sorry ... sanitation engineers ?
NHS dumpster truck. Yeah, been on that a few times recently.

I was chucked out of a completely empty ward at 3am. The nurses had so little to do that when my bed was wheeled in a few hours earlier, one said ''If you're bored, just call us''. I was far to sick to bother with chit chat, so I just lay there in the empty ward, focussing on my breathing.

I did ask the doctors ''Can't I just stay a few more hours until 7am and finally get some sleep?'' (now that my heart rate is finally down to 88 from 134, and my bp is up to normal again). ''No. We've arranged transport''. Basically as soon as the drip was finished, I was ejected. Nevermind that it's 3am, and we don't even need your bed, and our nurses are bored. You're being evicted. Pack yer bags!

Well, hospital transport definitely IS a dumpster truck, because the suspension on these things is incredibly bad. I still had horrendous lower back pain/spasms at that point, so every bump we went over I bit my hand to stop screaming at the driver, who carried on telling me all about his lost testicle (lovely guy, but, I really was in no state to be listening to testicular talk at 3am when I had my own health troubles to be dealing with).

To be caught up in such a system......One that regularly and seemingly blithely goes against the patient's best interests.......It's enough to make you question your own sanity. No wonder Ignatius Semmelweis died in an insane asylum (pioneering Hungarian doctor who realised that washing hands was insufficient for infection control. Introduced better measures, yet generally ignored or even mocked by colleagues. He died in an asylum). RIP Semmelweis.

Attachments

The hospital physio is now advising a rehabilitation hospital for one or two weeks so my Dad can have intensive physio before coming home. Now to persuade my Dad that this would be good for him! The hospital now pushing for discharge tomorrow
Insist on the rehab hospital and an NHS Continuing Healthcare Assessment - but if he needs further rehab treatment then this shouldn't be done until his treatment is complete.
They can't insist on sending him home without arranging an appropriate package of care.
The first 6 weeks of care at home is free anyhow.
Did SSD do a formal financial assessment before saying he wouldn't be entitled to any help with care costs?
Hi, thanks yes I am going to insist on the rehabilitation before he comes home. Hoping I don't get a call soon saying they are discharging him today! The SS decision was made after completing the formal financial assessment form.
74 posts