[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Spanish translation of documents - Carers UK Forum

Spanish translation of documents

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hello.
I wondered whether you could help me with a query which I have been trying to solve for awhile now, and so far have not got any useful or helpful answers.
I want to find out whether social services can provide their printed publications in Spanish, and how I can get them to do so.

My situation is special in that my partner is my carer and he is Spanish – he does not understand or read English. I have read on the back of the publications I have that they can be produced in other languages, but Spanish doesn't appear there but Portuguese does, which is strange. He does not understand or read Portuguese either.

It is paramount that he is able to understand all the information in the publications that social services send me, not just because here's my carer, but because he has a genuine interest in knowing about what they publish there and obviously because what they publish is important to us as it will most likely effect not just one but both of us

I got in touch with Oxfordshire social services about this, and they suggested that I get a professional translator to translate the publications. This is much easier said than done. This is not feasible for us as we cannot pay them and also it is just not feasible to have a professional translator constantly available on demand for all the publications that I get. My partner has a right to have the correct information and to be able to understand it properly as well as to be able to understand what social services offer and what they can/can't do for us so he can help and care for me properly.
I can understand and speak Spanish but because of my disabilities of spastic quadriplegia cerebral palsy , hydrocephalus and blindness , it is unreasonable, tiring and very time-consuming to ask me to translate all of that, as I cannot translate everything accurately. Tiredness and over exertion , which is the effect that all the effort I have to go to to translate something for my partner, has on me: (my family, social services and my advocate are witness to this) in my case brings on muscle spasms and convulsions, as well as severe headaches and eye strain which I should not have to experience
It is also something I should not have to be expected to do.
Please let me know about the help available and how we can get it , and whether and how Carer's UK (or someone else) can help in any way
as soon as possible.
Thank you
Hello.
I wondered whether you could help me with a query which I have been trying to solve for awhile now, and so far have not got any useful or helpful answers.
I want to find out whether social services can provide their printed publications in Spanish, and how I can get them to do so.

My situation is special in that my partner is my carer and he is Spanish – he does not understand or read English. I have read on the back of the publications I have that they can be produced in other languages, but Spanish doesn't appear there but Portuguese does, which is strange. He does not understand or read Portuguese either.

It is paramount that he is able to understand all the information in the publications that social services send me, not just because here's my carer, but because he has a genuine interest in knowing about what they publish there and obviously because what they publish is important to us as it will most likely effect not just one but both of us

I got in touch with social services about this, and they suggested that I get a professional translator to translate the publications. This is much easier said than done. This is not feasible for us as we cannot pay them and also it is just not feasible to have a professional translator constantly available on demand for all the publications that I get. He has a right to have the correct information and to be able to understand it properly to be able to understand what social services offer and what they can/can't do for us so he can help and care for me properly.
I can understand and speak Spanish but because of my disability it is unreasonable, tiring and very time-consuming to ask me to translate all of that, as I cannot translate everything accurately. Tiredness in my case brings on muscle spasms and convulsions.
Please let me know about the help available
as soon as possible.
Thank you
Hello.

I got in touch with social services about this, and they suggested that I get a professional translator to translate the publications. This is much easier said than done. This is not feasible for us as we cannot pay them and also it is just not feasible to have a professional translator constantly available on demand for all the publications that I get. He has a right to have the correct information and to be able to understand it properly to be able to understand what social services offer and what they can/can't do for us so he can help and care for me properly.
I can understand and speak Spanish but because of my disability it is unreasonable, tiring and very time-consuming to ask me to translate all of that, as I cannot translate everything accurately. Tiredness in my case brings on muscle spasms and convulsions.
Please let me know about the help available
as soon as possible.
Thank you
Hi Katherine,
I think you should ask Citizens Advice. I have an idea that all government organisations have a duty to provide information in anyone's language because they are not allowed to discriminate on the grounds of race.
Good luck if you do try to get the information. my husband is registered blind,(he has a very small amount of sight in one eye)and the worst offenders for not sending large print information are DWP, our County Council and the NHS.My husband cannot even read his own personal information before I do.
There may be general information online, in which case it is probably able to be translated online too ? Do you and your partner have local friends who would be willing to translate for him ?
Hi Katherine and welcome.

My understanding is that it is the duty of social services to provide information in a suitable format for your carer. In this case, to do otherwise may discriminate against him, and therefore against you - in breach of the Equality Act 2010. As I say, that's what I believe but it's only my opinion.
Hi.
Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.
I'm in the same boat sight-wise as your husband. I find another offender is Barclays Bank. I have another friend who's registered blind and she says it's really bad that only when they send you the bank statement /info, there's a number to call to get a different format. It's ridiculous the lengths we with severe sight problems and disabilities must go to to to get information in another format. I would have thought there are enough Spanish-speaking people in the UK to warrant the information being produced. Thanks for the info about the DWP being hard to get information in other formats from. They're unfortunately on my list of people to contact. I want both me and my partner to have equal access to information that's in accessible formats to us. Fortunately my partner is able-bodied and does use contact lenses but can read small print sizes and other print sizes really well which is a lifesaver for me. His friends unfortunately don't speak or understand English either. I've tried websites like SpanishDict (an English-Spanish translation site). This is good for some translation but not all, and I've also tried BIng and Google Translate, and had the same problem. As I know from my experience of learning Spanish at school and the translations I did, translation is difficult as you have to be extremely accurate. Another thing we tried in the past was getting a friend of my mum's to translate . The person was a work colleague of hers who'd spent time in Spain. However, the translation wasn't very good and my partner could barely understand what he was reading. My parents have a Spanish neighbour but he doesn't speak English very well despite being in the UK 35 years. Another neighbour of theirs learnt Spanish at university but has forgotten most of it as that was years ago. I'll keep trying.
Hi Katherine,

And welcome to the Forum Image

Just a thought - have you asked the cultural section of the Spanish Embassy at all? I used to work for an Embassy and they frequently have staff who do translation work on the side. Who knows, they may even do it for free if lucky! Or a local college where they do Spanish degrees. Perhaps the students would need translation practice. Good luck anyway, Anne
If they can provide documents in e-format, then you can get a rough translation by using Google Translate tool or one of the other online translation tools like babelfish. These are surprisingly good, but not for technical or legal documents. Your LA has a duty to pay for translation if required.