[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
hello, ...flexiable working - Carers UK Forum

hello, ...flexiable working

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
hello,
i am manns... my son is now an adult Image... . he has severe learning difficuties, communication difficuties and a few behaviour probs. when he is good he is very good, when he is bad he is horrid.
He attends school and is in the 16 plus for another year.
i have no probs here, i get direct payments, so no probs with s/s

my issue is regarding work.
i have worked parttime for 13 years as teaching assistant, and under the hrs that suited both me and the school. no prb's, i have always had that ME day , and had fridays to go away , if luke in respite , or to dose ...
unfortunatly my contracts states hrs as agreed by head.
my head teacher has just died (only 55)...and this new bloke wants all teaching assistants to work on a friday! i look at FLEXIBLE working arrangements , and that is what i have, but obviously it was not written on a contract,
i wonder if any one can help me now, can he change the hrs, and make me request the flexable working pattern, having the stress increased and poss not getting it...
i can find all about how to go about getting it...but not about if they try to change your hrs...
i am going to fight this, i am in unison( mmm wet fish) and i have talked to human resourses at County Hall...
help please... why oh why should i be going through this...when i have to cope with being a carer...

look forward to your advice....

great site by the way...i am a moderator on a site for teaching assistants, and i know that the support we give as team can keep peoples head above water...
here hoping you can do the same for me...

regards...
Hello and welcome,

I am no expert, but I think custom and practice applies.

Employment Context:-

Something which has been done that way for a while. In particular in employment law your contract of employment can change by custom and practice. For example, it may have become normal to allow staff to go home early on Christmas Eve and a court might decide that this has now been included in your contract of employment by custom and practice.

All the best,

B
thanks i will look into that...
Hi manns

I have just asked the expert in our house about your problem now he tells me the new headmaster cant do that because after two years of working those hours he cant suddenly change them they actually become part of your contract it the same as if you have a contract for 35hrs and you are asked to work overtime and you have been doing that for two years they cant just suddenly stop that overtime they have to give you notice have a word with citizens advice
Welcome to the forum Manns.

Take a lookat this

You could also consider phoning Carers Line

Rosemary
Just adding my welcome Manns and I hope that you can get this sorted very quickly.
Good luck
Bluebird
Hi manns

headmaster cant do that because after two years of working those hours he cant suddenly change them they actually become part of your contract it the same as if you have a contract for 35hrs
thanks for this...but i need to hard evidence to throwin his face...
but it helps i will search internet,
the one about custome and practise ...look promising...

and thanks rosemary, thats how i found you guys, by that web site...
the number is a wed thur number...and i found it too late yesterday...but i will give them a call....

thanks every one for your welcome...
lukes at his respite carers for the weekend...so i feel 'normal' ...wanted to spend the weekend up at buxton...but seemits the wedding time of year and nice places are booked up...

also need to get final uni assignment underway...as yes..i work part time as well as care for luke and i am also most finished a BA degree... boy i need that friday feeling.
Hi Manns and welcome Image
I'm also a TA with hours to suit, which does not include working Fridays.
Which forum do you moderate?
Hello Manns, and welcome to the site Image
Hello and welcome Image