Reduced Utility Bills

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi Everyone,
I am new to Carers UK - Myself and my husband care for his mother and have only just started receiving Carer's Allowance and we are also currently on Income Support.

As we are very new to all this; we are looking for advice and assistance on what we can claim for:
We have been told by a family member that if we do Mother's washing regularly we can claim a reduced rate for utility bills ie Electric and water - Is this is correct?

Mother does not live with us....

Many thanks for your assistance
Kind regards
Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry, can't help directly with your answer. Can I ask what is wrong with mother, and how old she is? Might be able to make a few suggestions depending on the answer.
Hi and welcome. You can contact the professional staff of CarerUK, details can be found on the main website. They have The Knowledge (!) to advise on your specific situation, AND confidentially. Or maybe contact AGE UK who also can advise on benefits. OR Citizens Advice?

Worth also checking with current utility suppliers if they have a Priority Customer system in place, I think most do.

Hope you get all the appropriate info you need. :) soon.

As mentioned by Dancedintherain - these are the details ofr contacting the Carers UK Adviceline team
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.
If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
Hello Tracey,

Not sure if this will help you or not, i guess it depends on you're supplier. My aunt has just registered to a scheme with Severn Trent Water called Watersure, It allows you to use a much high amount of water than you would usually and have you're water bill capped to a much lower limit. You need to provide a medical reason for the need to excess water than normal, We got a letter from one of her consultants to send to them, Typical grounds cover from things like incontinence, skin conditions to cancer and renal need's. My aunt's bill is capped yearly to no more than £390 now due to the scheme, She needs so much water it's amazing they can cap it that low.

It's useful to check you're supplier's website too for additional information, sometimes it may take some looking around clicking various links. As someone suggested above, try to ring up if the websites don't offer the information and just explain that you're needs are high priority due to medical need. They can either say they don't offer anything like that or maybe able to switch you to lower tariffs if you stay with them.

Sometimes, you have to be a little cheeky as most suppliers won't want you to take your business elsewhere.
CAB guide to utility company schemes and Government payment scemes. ... rgy-bills/

Auriga services guide for help with energy and water bills ... it is massive.

Full list of each utility company and their schemes available ! ... 015_V2.pdf