[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Post State Pension rules regarding Carer's Allowence - Carers UK Forum

Post State Pension rules regarding Carer's Allowence

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
I have been in receipt of carers allowance for in excess of 20 years, but recently I passed my 65th birthday and have been advised by the DWP that I will not receive payment of the benefit because it is less than the sum paid to me through my state pension. This I understand and accept is the rules.

However I am confused to have received the usual claim forms and a request that I compete them in due course to cover the period when our daughter is is at our house visiting from her residential care provision, this is after my 65th birthday.

The 1st question is is it necessary for me to continue to claim CA even though I will not receive carer’s allowance?
What advantage is there to me making the claim?
Am I legally obliged to submit a claim even though I receive no benefit payment?

If I do not complete the forms is there any disadvantage to me or my daughter as a result?

I appreciate that this is pretty esoteric but equally uncertain it is not a unknown question and I would be grateful for any advice you can give me.

Peter Catley
Taunton, Somerset.
Hi Peter

Although you won't get any CA money after your 65th birthday (or whenever you claim your state pension) you still have an 'entitlement' and it will be classed as an 'underlying' benefit. This can open the door to other benefits that you maybe entitled to.

Best course of action is to either contact the Carers UK Advice Line or pay a visit to your local CAB - either should be able to answer your questions in more detail and do a benefits check on your behalf.

You can find the details of how to contact CUK by clicking on the following link

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12838
Thanks for the responses, I've e-mailed the advice line to try to save tying up their limited valuable time Image

@ Audrey thanks for your kind advice, unfortunately the spammers and phishers caught me many years ago, try Googling my name! 1.1 million entries!

Any further comment list?