[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Newby - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Newby

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Ellen, are you getting any help at all from Social Services? You need to know that there is someone who can support you. If you feel mum is ever out of control, then there have been others here in the past who have insisted on emergency respite.
No help yet as mum is still very aware of things and we cannot bring a stranger in or cares at this time it would not be right when she later on is not so with it and starts to struggle with every day things then yes we will have to get help.

We don't have any support apart from her old people psychiatrist and to tell you the truth there not much help and can never get hold of them when you need them.

They keep changing her meds she is on two different antidepressants and diazepam when needed which is getting more often.

Its very hard to take on board.x
The things you mention are for mum, not you. Are you in touch with any Carers Support worker locally? ALzheimers Society? You need to hsve someone to offloadcto, who can support you when the time comes for more practical help. If there never seem to be enough hours in the day, think about getting a dishwasher, washer dryer, etc if you haven't alrezdy. Every little helps!.
Is it normal for people with dementia to cry a lot?
Its called emotional lability. Laughing at inappropriate times is another thing that can happen. Its quite common with neurological disorders - including dementia.
How do I go about trying to get a support worker for us as carers please.
I suggest contacting Social services and asking for a care assessment they will have information on what care services exist in your area. Also ask for an attendance allowance form (if you have not already done so) it can help towards the cost of providing respite care and is not means tested.
Also check if the Alzheimer's Society have a branch in your area :

http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/d ... yID=200121

They're website is very useful and has lots of information - despite the name they cover all forms of dementia. If you have a local branch they will hold regular meetings for Carers to exchange ideas and tips and usually host a 'Memory Cafe' where Carers and Carees can go for some social interaction.

When I cared for Mum the Alzheimer's Society support worker allocated to me was a font of useful information - everything from benefits advice to tips on getting Mum back to bed at 3am !

Also check out Dementia UK's website for Admiral Nurses in your area -
http://www.dementiauk.org/what-we-do/ad ... -services/ unfortunately they are few and far between but, again, they are a font of useful knowledge :)