[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Newbie On The Block - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Newbie On The Block

Tell us a bit about yourself here.

Extremely quiet on the forum ... I and a couple of others are somewhat overloaded keeping the punters happy ...
both on and off the forum.

Right ... caring ... some links ... NEEDS and CARERS assessment from your LA :

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-ca ... ssessment/

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... assessment

If they are new to you , do not delay ... waiting times for both are a real post code lottery.

Benefits ... everything including the kitchen sink currently being claimed ?

An online benefits calculator for an immediate financial m.o.t. :


I have in mind PIP / DLA / AA ... whichever one is appropriate ... Carers Allowance ... Housing Benefit ... Council Tax
discount / disregard ... shout if you need more on any of those.

( Most can claim both DLA / PIP and CA ... many disabled carers around ! )

Housing ?

Owner occupied / rented ... if so , social or btl ?

If social , that infamous word SUCCESSION ???

Power of Attornies in place ?

Wills ?

Done and upto date.

Your serve back ... with a little interest ?
Sorry, I usually reply immediately, but have had a manic few weeks involving both plasterers and builders, as well as a visitor from Australia. Decorators due Monday!

If you contact Social Services, they will do a Needs Assessment, looking to see what mum can and cannot do, and considering if they can make life easier for her in any way, and a Carers Assessment, NOT looking to see if you are a good or bad carer, as some people think! but looking to see if they can do anything to help you. I would suggest time off regularly as one of your priorities.

They may arrange a visit from an Occupational Therapist because of mum's arthritis. The OT might be able to arrange automatic door openers, suggest some alternative cups, etc. etc.

My son with learning difficulties lives in a ground floor flat, all was well until a young man moved in upstairs, polite when sober, but a different story when drunk. Loud parties outside that went on to 3am in the summer, loud music inside at other times, he told me one day he dragged his mattress into the lounge to try and sleep there. The care agency called the Police, who soon sorted it out. Usually you have to ring the council, but where someone disabled is involved, it can be considered as a disability hate crime, or similar. The lad left mid way through his tenancy!!