[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Newbie & My caring role is disabling me! - Carers UK Forum

Newbie & My caring role is disabling me!

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
I've been caring for my daughter all of her life (22 yrs) and my back has been gradually getting worse. I've finally had the chance to get it checked out and much to my surprise (sarcasm) it's kaput! I'm living on painkillers just to get through the day and have just been told that I need spinal surgery!
I'm terrified to say the least ... I have 4 brilliant daughters and I raise them alone. My eldest (mentioned above) has Down Syndrome, my second is nearly 18 and still very dependant on me as she has ADHD... I've also got the most funny, adorable 1 & 2 yr olds too.
I'll be having surgery next year ... 2-6 days in hospital for the operation to stabalise my back and then at least 2 months recovery (praying that no other problems occur during this time).

Does anyone know what benefit's I can personally claim?

Thanks for reading, Kindest regards Ronnie
Sounds like you've got a good case for DLA...but...they might reasses any carers...your best bet is to phone into your local benifits office.
It's not something I'd know about specifically, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum anyway. Hope you can find what you need.
Hiya and a warm welcome to the forum.

Karen
hello and welcome Image
Hi Ronnie and welcome,

have you had an OT assessment? They will come out and see what aids and adaptions would make life easier for you. You could also have an assessment for you daughter to see what would make caring for her easier. When my hip was really bad I had an extra stair rail, a wider front door step etc as well as a loan of things like a perching stool etc

I'm no good on benefits sorry.

I care for S and I put off having my hip done until I was so crippled and in loads of pain. I finally had no choice but to have it done, my friends moved in to look after him whilst I was in hospital and he coped really well. Luckily he was at school during my rehab period and so I could rest during the day. I hired a mobility scooter so I could till take him out and about after my op. Start planning well in advance.

Melly1