[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
New member not so new carer - Carers UK Forum

New member not so new carer

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi,
I am a man in my fifties who works full -time but also care for my wife who has
progressive MS for over 30years. My wife is unable to walk or stand at all and experiences all the common aspects of the deteriorating condition.
My caring includes most things including night disturbance, dealing with depression,
frustration. I represent my wife at every hospital appointment so that she has a voice and look out for her in her interest.
I am always looking out for recognition and reward for carers by our government and general ways to improve matters, from phone apps to help keep on top of things to
improvements for disabled people generally.
I hope to enjoy my time in the forums, learn from others experiences and if I can help anyone else it would be great.
Hi and welcome to the forum Image
Hi drummerdog. Im in my fifties too and care for my husband who has an acquired brain injury. You are doing well to care for your wife and continue to work full-time. I had to cut my hours down. It is hard work caring and working. I am full of admiration.
Welcome to the site and feel free to post where ever. Image
Welcome to the Forum mate! Image
hello, Drummerdog, and welcome. Like crocus, I am impressed that you are still working full time and staying on top of things. I am 46, and a carer for my husband who is 77, had copd, severe arthritis and asbestosis. Next week is my last full week at work before I go part time.
Welcome to the forum, and hope to see you on roll call.
Phoebe x
oops, typo,
had copd, severe arthritis and asbestosis.
, that should read "HAS" copd etc Image Image
Hi drummerdog and welcome Image
My oh has PPMS too, long way down the line so I don't work outside the home any more.
Thank you guys for the warm welcome.
It is not easy working full time and caring.
I could not do it without the support we receive from social services.
Two carers in the morning after I have left for work and currently two in the evening to put my wife to bed.
My own health has also deteriorated, especially in the last two years.
If I reduce my working hours or even give up work I am afraid that we would lose so much. Including the support we receive and respite breaks.

This is clearly a special forum full of special people. Image
Hello drummer dog...welcome from me too!

Bell x