[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Newbie Care Home carer - what's the pay like?? - Carers UK Forum

Newbie Care Home carer - what's the pay like??

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi,

I am new to this site and am looking forward to joining forces with all my hard working colleagues out there!

I have worked in residential learning disability care for the past 8 years and have decided to spread my wings a bit and get back into elderly/dementia care.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the going rate (hourly/shift;/day/night) is for general care homes nowadays? I think I get a bit more as I am in a high category profound learning disability home so we kind of get danger money!

I am geting £8.10 an hour (days) and £10.40 nights (waking) - is that far more than elderly care home pay?? Naturally I don't wanna jump into an area where pay is so much less.

I have also recently joined the books of a domicilliary (never can spell it!) home care agency and was pleasantly surprised to be paid £9.00 an hour - I think that's pretty good isn't it?? I haven't done any work yet but am hoping to get lots after Xmas. Does anyone else do home care, if so what's it like?

Gerrie x Image
[/b]
Hi geraldine

This forum is actually for unpaid carers who look after ill or disabled family members and friends. You might like to try www.connectingforcare.co.uk instead.

Best wishes

Christine
Whoops Geraldine - you are not a Carer you are a Care Worker (paid) and you've just told all of us Carers (unpaid) that you get £283.50 for a 35 hour week - if we're lucky we get £50.50 Carers Allowance benefit for 24/7 care.
I have an 18 month old son with kidney failure, bowel disease and asthma so I think as well as working 30 hours a week (caring for OTHERS) I certainly don't gain benefits (other than his DLA) and still have the heart to go out to work to make a better life for my 2 boys.

So if you don't mind, please DON'T crticise those who care for their OWN loved one as well as other people's - think I also deserve a medal huh?????
I have an 18 month old son with kidney failure, bowel disease and asthma so I think as well as working 30 hours a week (caring for OTHERS) I certainly don't gain benefits (other than his DLA) and still have the heart to go out to work to make a better life for my 2 boys.

So if you don't mind, please DON'T crticise those who care for their OWN loved one as well as other people's - think I also deserve a medal huh?????

I'd say yes you do deserve a medal Geraldine for Caring for your son and other peoples loved ones it can't be easy for you.I guess it puts you in the catagory as carer for a Caree.Welcome by the way and Merry Christmas to you.
Thanks Johnboy - very much appreciated comment. It's hard as I never discuss my sons illnesses with my colleagues as I fear my job may be affected.

I find that people may view me as bitter pr needy of sympathy (like some people apparently are on here - see comment below) and I would never wish to be viewed like that. I love my kids, my role as a mum/carer, and care worker and cannot envisage life any other way.

Merry Christmas to you too

Gerrie
I apologise if you thought I was criticising YOU - I criticise the system that will not afford Carers a level of benefit that they can live on. But is was certainly eye-opening to see how much Care Workers do get paid.

Unfortunately many Carers, like myself, cannot go out to work because our Carees cannot be left on their own for any period of time and even if they could be left unattended we are too knackered to be effective employees. I care virtually single handed for my 85 year old Mother who has Alzheimers and a number of mobility problems.

Again, I apologise if I have offended you.
hello geraldine

welcome to the forum Image

krys
xxx
Apology accepted Susie and don't get me wrong, I know how tough it is looking after someone with Alzheimers also - my grandmother lives with my mother (in-law) and is 96, she has cared for her single-handedly for 15 years and it is indeed a long and hard sentence.

As you may appreciate my 'sentence' is somewhat longer given that my son is only a toddler with life-long health problems, if I don't work now, he may become so ill later that I have to give up work entirely and that would make for a totally different financial situation.
Thank you Krys, very much, I apreciate that message

Gerrie xx