Newbie benefits help please.

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Can anyone help me please? I have tried the helpline and sent an email but no response.
My mother is a British citizen who has lived in the Caribbean for the past 17 years due to health issues. She is 81 and cannot cope anymore so now lives in England with me. I was trying to claim attendance allowance for her but it states she must be in the UK for 2 years. Does this still apply even though she is a British citizen and gets her pension? This is very stressful as I cannot claim income support or carers allowance even though I have to care for her.
Many thanks.
Hi Grace ... as a holding reply , straight from the Government web site :

You must also:

be in Great Britain when you claim - there are some exceptions, such as members and family members of the Armed Forces.
have been in Great Britain for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this doesn’t apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status).
be habitually resident in the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.
not be subject to immigration control (unless you’re a sponsored immigrant).

There are some exceptions to these conditions if you’re living in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.

On first reading , it appears to be no exceptions beyond those mentioned in brackets.

Age UK guidance :

Am I eligible to claim Attendance Allowance?

You can claim Attendance Allowance if you meet all the following criteria:

are 65 or over (if you’re under 65, you may be eligible for Personal Independence Payment instead)
could benefit from help with personal care, such as getting washed or dressed, or supervision to keep you safe during the day or night
have any type of disability or illness, including sight or hearing impairments, or mental health issues such as dementia
have needed help for at least 6 months. (If you’re terminally ill you can make a claim straight away.)

Nothing on the residency criteria.

One for our advice team , full details through this link : ... bers-24228

Let us know how you get on as it will assist anyone else with a similar problem.
it would be helpful to know a bit more about mum's situation. What is the nature of her disability? Does she have over £23,000 approximately in savings?
Thanks Bowlingbun.
My mother has a heart condition and suffers from arthritis so has difficulty walking and caring for herself. She doesn't have any savings.
That's a very difficult situation. All I can suggest is that you email the Carers UK helpline to see if they can help in any way. I can't think of an easy solution I'm afraid.
OK, thanks.
Thanks for the information Chris From The Gulag.
Your welcome ... not much of an aid.

Citizen Advice Bureau ... not much help there either :

If you’ve lived outside the country

Regardless of what your immigration status is, you must have lived in England, Scotland and Wales for at least 104 weeks out of the last 156 to claim Attendance Allowance.

These don’t need to be consecutive weeks - as long as you’ve lived in England, Scotland or Wales for any 104 weeks out of the last 156 it will count. This works out as 2 years out of the last 3.

A situation far from unique in carer circles ?

Our Advice Team will be your best option for more detailed information.