[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Newbie - Carers UK Forum

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hey there,

I care for my Mum who has had three joint replacements in the last two years. She's still not very mobile though. Image

I mainly take her to appointments and fetch and carry, but it seems I'm either at work (part-time), or at home with her - we live together. As with all carers, I would just like a life of my own and a holiday.

I haven't got the right character for caring. I'm not good with unwell people, but I've tried my best. I just get irritable and snappy sometimes, and then feel guilty if I've snapped at Mum.

Anyway, here's to a better year.
Biggles
welcome to the site!!

u sound over tiered and under appretiated m8, welcome to the club Image u dont have to be mad but it bloody well helps!
Hi Biggles,
I know just how you feel, I spend my life feeling guilty that I get irritable even though I do try to do the best I can. Like you I don't think I have the character for being a carer. Lucky for me my daughter takes care of mum during the week now.
________
VERMONT MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES
Hi Biggles,
Sorry to hear about how you are feeling present, If it helps at all, I had a visit from social services today (bless their little cotton socks)!! I actually showed them a letter I had just written to them, telling them I WAS going on holiday, and they could let themselves in to look after my wife and son, I was going to enclose the house key. I am still not sure that I should have let her persuade me not give her the letter. Gives you a rough idea hoe I feel @ present!!. Perhaps someone out there could give us a rough idea as to what would have happened, if I had given them the letter.
Hello Biggles, Welcome aboard!

PS....don´t worry..you are quite normal!
Some days I get all bitter and twisted, My Jill can be a nightmare to look after some days and I often think What the hell have I done to deserve this s--t Image
I get very tired, frustrated and feel I'm going to be trapped for the rest of my life. The only thing that has helped to keep my sanity is this wonderful site and all the great people on here.

I dream of buying a classic motorbike again, but I'd never get time to ride it! Image

Sorry to moan, I reckon I'm one of the really lucky ones here

Pete x
Hi Biggles nice to meet you and welcome to the forum Image
Welcome Biggles

you've come to the right place - lots of us have been there, done that etc etc.

It takes time to realise it, but you are not a bad person because you get short tempered or because you want your life back - there is a book called 'The Selfish Pig's Guide to Caring' by Hugh Marriott. Lots of us have read it and we all say it should be compulsive reading for all Carers. It is written by a Carer for other Carers and is full of useful tips and insights into what caring really means. Amazon stock it if you can't get it through your local bookshop.

Anyway feel free to rant; moan even scream if you want to - we will listen and try to help.

best wishes
susieq
Yeah have just ordered one from Amazon for 7 quid Image
Some days I get all bitter and twisted, My Jill can be a nightmare to look after some days and I often think What the hell have I done to deserve this s--t Image
I get very tired, frustrated and feel I'm going to be trapped for the rest of my life. The only thing that has helped to keep my sanity is this wonderful site and all the great people on here.
I dream of buying a classic motorbike again, but I'd never get time to ride it! Image
Sorry to moan, I reckon I'm one of the really lucky ones here
Pete x
This is how I feel too, life is passing me by. But I know how lucky I am still have my Mum and to be honest, I find the idea of living a normal life again quite scary.

Welcome to the forum Biggles, the friends you make on here will help you to keep going and they will make you smile more than you ever thought possible.
Bluebird Image