[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
New, working and supporting distant parents -Carers UK Forum

New, working and supporting distant parents

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hello out there.
As the title suggests, I am working and trying to be of support to my parents in their eighties, one of whom (dad) is suffering from dementia and who live at the opposite end of the country.
Every bit of leave is used in visiting them but of course their situation and their health is deteriorating, as is my ability to ... well, to do anything. I am becoming increasingly fearful at work, and my performance is suffering as a result, adding to my fear. I will not make this longer, but would love to hear a friendly voice from out there. Filling up as I write that.
Thanks for reading
Hi Brighteyes and welcome to the forum. there are lots of people here and really good friends

Kat xx
Hi Brighteyes and welcome Image
Welcome brighteyes (nice name by the way Image )
Glad to have you here. I hope you find the support you need here.
Thank you all for your welcome. Silly to say but I feel among friends.
Thank you all for your welcome. Silly to say but I feel among friends.
Good Image because you are Image
welcome aboard, we all take turns to paddle Image

You will get plenty support here plus the main website has lots of information
http://www.carersuk.org/
Good first post, we have lots of jet-set carers here. My own aged parents live 350 miles away, and my own mum used to fly to Hannover every week for years to look after my gran, so I do know where you are coming from.
Hello Brighteyes and welcome Image , I too am working and caring for my mum in her 80s. I do understand how difficult it can be to hold it altogether and yes, use up all your leave for hospital appointments, crises etc. Just a thought - does your employer know that you are a carer? Not sure how understanding they are, but it may be worth mentioning it. Who knows, maybe they would be more flexible on leave, or understanding of the pressures on you?? My own employer has just joined Employers for Carers (www.employersforcarers.org). Frankly, I think it is lip-service but at least it is recognition of the difficulties carers face. Look forward to seeing your posts, Anne x
Hi Brighteyes....welcome to the forum.

I know exactly how you feel about being a long distance carer. I travelled to Devon for 6yrs every 3wks and stayed for 1wk...mum had dementia and had to have carers go in every day as she fell and broke her hip but it was still my duty to make sure all was ok!!Having said that i was retired so it was not a problem when i could go .. unfortunatly she passed away July 2010. But it was beginning to tell on me as i was also caring for my Husband ((still is )) as he has ((COPD/EMPHYSEMA.

hope i have not been boring but i can sympathise with you having experienced the situation...

Take care Eve Image