[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
New to dementia journey - Page 64 - Carers UK Forum

New to dementia journey

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
936 posts
Pet,
Sorry to hear poor hubby is in hospital, you must be very worried.
Explained the best approach, which is not bounding in the room,and trying to sort him, without telling him what they want to do.
Well if that's what they are doing, they deserve a good clout!

The hospital should have Dementia Champions, it might be worth contacting PALS to request the Dementia Champions support the ward/ hubby. It sounds like they need training.

Melly1
Hugs again Pet
Apart from the drip, have they said what is wrong with him?

Xx
MrsA
Mrs A, no I haven't been told, even though I have asked. I've googled low pottasium levels and the symptoms match. The nurse said no need to take things in for him, and it could possibly be a couple of nights he will be in the hospital.
These days it's hard to get a straight answer isn't it!! Going to ask to speak to the doctor.
Sounds like I'm not trying, but I am. Took ages to get through on the phone this evening.
Pet66 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:10 pm
Mrs A, no I haven't been told, even though I have asked. I've googled low pottasium levels and the symptoms match. The nurse said no need to take things in for him, and it could possibly be a couple of nights he will be in the hospital.
These days it's hard to get a straight answer isn't it!! Going to ask to speak to the doctor.
Sounds like I'm not trying, but I am. Took ages to get through on the phone this evening.
Probably means they arent 100% sure yet. They do like to be careful these days.
We know you are doing your best, which is way more than most. Try to pace yourself xx
Hubby has been moved to another ward. Pottasium levels are slowly improving, and he had an impacted bowel,so is being treated for that. Eating more now. DD 1 visited yesterday, as Im not feeling too well. He hasn't a side room, sadly. At least we know what the problem is. The nurse phoned me on Friday, asking if staff at the home moved hubby regularly,as the pressure sore has improved since being admitted. She doesn't agree that 2 hours in his chair, then the rest of the time in bed is the best option.( Neither do I to be honest, but I have to be guided by ' experts'). They will have to explain to the nursing staff at the home and I will be speaking to them about it too..The tissue viability nurse doesn't have to see hubby now, which at least won't delay him going back to the nursing home.
Also the thickening agent hubby has to have. I knew they were putting too much in his drinks . Having said all of this, I'm desperate for him to be discharged back to the home, to staff who know him.
Oh dear.
You do have my sympathy Pet. I do feel for your hubby too as an impacted bowel is a nightmare. At least if the hospital staff do not think the care home staff are moving him around enough to stop pressure sores, then you have professionals on your side when you speak to the manager.

I too find conflicting advice hard to cope with but we can only do our best and you do far more than most.

Thinking of you today.
Hi Pet,
I know you'll feel happier when hubby is back at the nursing home, but hopefully having spoken to the sister you will feel reassured they do seem to be caring well for him in hospital.

Make sure the hospital put about the best way to keep changing his position to improve his pressure sore on is discharge notes.

Thickener is tricky ( we use it at school) it requires different amounts in different liquids to make the same consistency. Maybe he could take a drink back to the home from the hospital for them to see the correct consistency. No wonder he was losing weight if he had a impacted bowel, they will have to start recording his output, so they can quickly act before he gets constipated again.

Melly1
Hi Pet,
Is your husband on an air mattress in the home? Brian has a hospital bed with a ripple air mattress that we were given shortly after his stroke as he had bed sores on his heels. It's a noisy thing as it inflates alternate parts at a time. He has been in bed continually since July and hasn't had any more bed sores even though he can't move in the bed by himself.

On a lighter note, when he first had the stroke and was in the stroke ward, they were all given thickener in their drinks to stop them choking. The famiies were encouraged to help look after them at visiting time and one day I had brought in some diet fizzy juice to encourage him to drink more. I duly put some juice into his plastic beaker then added the thickener - well it was like a volcano erupting. The juice all frothed up and went everywhere. I was rushing down the ward to get to the wash hand basin to get rid of it. When I spoke to the nurses about it after apologising for the mess, they said they should have mentioned the reaction to fizzy juice. Needless to say, he got diluting juice after that.
Melly yes the staff do record the daily 'output'. They have a chart , for instance XL means really lose stools. That's been recorded especially lately.
Irene, hubby has an air bed, and I agree it can be noisy. Not that he takes notice of that now. I've also purchased the special chair, that has a pressure cushion built in. It cost me over £2000. The tissue viability nurse said the pressure on the cushion is wrong now. I'm having difficulty in getting it rectified as the manufacturer says it's ok.. Just another fight that seems to be written on carers/ family's forehead. You know, I'm only the carer/ wife etc.What do I know. Grr.
Pet, I totally agree. Professionals think they know best but we are the ones who have been looking after our husbands all this time. We know how things should be done to keep them comfortable but when you try to tell them they will not listen. Brian has all different carers coming in each day now. We have no idea who will turn up. Fair enough they know they have to bed bath and dress him but when I point out things they have missed or not done to my standard, all I get is a look and one had the cheek to say that perhaps I should be doing the caring instead of her. I was furious.

I was at a loss to understand why the skin on his legs and head was so dry and flaking until one day I realised that they fill the little plastic basin with water and shower gel to wash him but they wash him with the soapy face cloth then dry him and don't rinse off the soap. It would be like us being in the shower, rubbing shower gel all over us then drying with a towel and not rinsing it off. Again I have been onto my usual company on the internet and found a wash cream that doean't require rinsing off. Cost me £8 but it is a very large bottle so we will see how it helps his skin.
936 posts