[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
new/ entitlement - Carers UK Forum

new/ entitlement

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi I am new to site, I am currently looking after my mum, which will change to over 35 hours, I currently work full time as well and I am thinking of leaving my job to care for my mum, or working/part time for the £110 working allowance when claiming carer (£62.50) allowance. if I leave my job will I be entitled to income support as well?
I know I won't receive full housing benefit as I live with my non dependant daughter who works, my main questions are can I get income support whilst claiming carers allowance? is it ok to leave my job and do this? as I am leaving job voluntary or shall I continue to work for the £110, part time, and claim the £62.50. i am just worried that i wont be able to pay my rent and priority bills, direct debits as well as food, travel to mums etc your advice would be great
kind regards
I've no advice as such, but I gave up work to look after my mum, and its very isolating, so give it careful thought.
I get carers allowance and income support, which makes up my money to around 110 pounds per week. Its a pittance - not enough coming in to keep up with bills, etc.
I dont know if working part time would leave you with a bit more money to play with: I seem to remember that it worked out roughly the same?
Hopefully someone will be able to give you more advice.
Best wishes.
Hi thank you for your reply, I wonder would I be entitled to income support if I leave my job voluntary? I need to call them I guess, maybe speak to citizen advice, trouble is I'm not getting the time, by time I finish work I have to drive over an hour to mums then it's evening, so frustrating, I just need to know what to do & what I'm entitled to.
Hi, just another thought. What is your mum's financial circumstances? Do check out whether:

(a) she is entitled to any care being provided by SS etc

(b) she is in a position to pay you directly for the care she would otherwise have to pay for by way of professional care-workers.

I know it can seem 'cheeky' to take money from elderly parents, but, after all, if YOU did not do the caring, someone else would have to be paid to do so! And their rates are very high! (Around £15-20 an hour) (Because that's the agency rate they charge clients.)

Being paid directly by the parent receiving your care also solves what can all too often be a very irksome problem - the non-caring sibling who lets you do all the work, but expects blithely to receive half of all that your mum may leave in her will! By paying you NOW, your mum's estate is being worn down, which means that yes, when she dies, and any siblings hold out their hands for their share (though they've done zilch/far less caring), you will already have had your 'reward'.

However, of course you have to be wary of turning it into 'real' employment, otherwise the taxman will start poking his nose in.....
Thank you for reply, mum is on state pension and middle disability. She has nothing, no assets and dosnt want care from outside, which is a pain
Ah yes, the 'I don't want strangers looking after me!' protest....

Very, very common alas.

Equally alas, it's time for 'firm love'. No, you CANNOT give up your own life to dedicate it to your mum's remaining years - and do it single handed!

Your mum MUST accept some outside help. That is 'the deal' you strike with her.

You cannot be 'on duty' 24x7 (and even if she can be left on her own for now, if she lives long and worsens, that will change). You MUST have some 'time off'. You MUST have 'holidays' etc etc.

That all means 'outside help', whether it's care-workers coming in to give you daily breaks, or mum taking respite care in a care home while you have a holiday (even if it's a 'staycation'!)

This has to be non-negotiable from the start.

Many folk here say the way they've 'persuaded' (!) their parents to accept some outside care-workers is by saying 'If you dont' accept some care-workers coming in to give me a break and to help, then YOU'LL have to go into a care home.'

You have to mean it!

It's a sad truth that many very elderly people become very 'selfish' as they age. This may well not be deliberate or conscious (it rather depends on what they were like when they were younger of course!), but it can happen to the nicest of of them. They just fail to think of the impact of their needs and wants on others.

If dementia sets in that's pretty much a given - they become like 'toddlers' and lose the ability to understand that other people exist indepdently. You might as well expect a three year old to say 'Oh, Mummy, thank you so much for looking after me and playing with me and making my home all comfy to live in!'.....

So, before you do anything drastic like give up your job, you really really need to do not just what you are very properly doing now - ie, sorting out the financial impact - but also the long term impact on your own life, and the 'terms and conditions' upon which you will 'agree' (if you do!) to take on your mum's full time care.

It's a HUGE, life-changing step for you, and if you take it on, only two things will 'free' you from it - your mum going into residential care 'in the end' ,and of course, nature taking its eventual course.

But believe me, everyone on this forum will tell you - if you take it on full time, you MUST have help from care-workers, and your mum MUST accept that, even under protest and grumbles and accusations (etc etc)
I gave up work voluntarily, and the income support was automatically given to top up the carers allowance.
Hope you can get it sorted: I actually found that it went through fairly easily, no hold ups or anything.
I would consider very carefully though, the implications of devoting your time entirely to your mum. It takes over before you know it, and leaves no time for anything or anyone else (including you!)
Thanx for replies, very gratful, mum is a grumpy, angry stubborn woman, she's always been this way, she's angry at me and the world, but even worse now, care home not an option, we don't have outside help at mo, we on waiting list for occupational health. I'm dragging my heels at mo and stYing at work, unfortunately I'm from a disfunctinal family so no help from sibling, however mums brother visits but he's a suck old man too so not much he can do only to keep her company, also her cousin has been good trying yo pop in mist days and feed her, mums got no appetite and will only eat if cooked for, she's deliberately not helping herself, she is caperble if making small things like soup, sandwhich etc, but is attention seeking by not eating, she has depression so she creates a problem to get attention, I live hour drive away but family live nearer, but like I said no help from siblings, none of us get on with mum so it's all very difficult, but I'm the only one that makes an effort, as she is starting to get worse my decission if leaving or staying at work has to be made, I will chase up occ health and GP see if I can get her regular carer to go in clean, and make easy food, although she can do this her self, very frustrating. I just wanted to know my financial entitlement if I left my job. Thanx for all the replies
Hello Caroline and welcome to the forum.

I suggest you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team for advice on benefits (they are definitely the experts!)
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.
If you can't through on the telephone (lines are often over-scribed) or haven't the time to ring them, then you can email them the details of your query; they will usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
Well, good luck whatever you decide. Caring is not a legal duty, more of a perceived moral obligation, and you are being incredibly loyal to consider taking on the f/t care of such a challenging woman. You also have a duty to yourself: will this make you feel happier? Is it really the only possible solution? What would social services do if you weren't there?