[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
New and need advice please - Carers UK Forum

New and need advice please

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi, my son has just turned 18 and does not want to go back to full time education. He has Aspergers and anxiety. He was awarded DLA when he was diagnosed aged 11. When he was 16 he was refused PIP. At the time I did not appeal the decision however I notice that the government made a U turn last year with regards to people who cannot follow a familiar journey by themselves etc.
As he is now 18 and does not want to continue in education, I am going to lose a significant amount of income from child tax credits etc.
My question is, can I ask them to reaccess his claim now, under the new rules or does he have to apply all over again?
Thank you for taking time to read this.
Hi Deborah ... wecome to the canteen.

A holding reply before the calvary arrive ... very quiet on this forum for the past few weeks.

PIP decisions and appeals ... procedures to be followed :

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benef ... -tribunal/

The CAB site sets out the options ... particularly if the deadline to appeal against the original decision has been missed.
Hi Deborah,
Definitely reapply for PIP. He is probably entitled to Income Support or similar, in his own right, now that he is 18.
My son has LD, it was only quite by chance that I found out he was entitled to educational funding up to the age of 25 (he's 39, so the rules may not be quite the same now.
Are you aware that he may be able to go to a college other than his local one, if he has special needs?
My son went to Fairfield Opportunity Farm, near Warminster, in Wiltshre, in his three years there he became so much more independent and grown up. Whilst you may not live anywhere near there, you might like to look at the work they do, and consider if something like it might suit your son.
There have been a number of people here in your situation where the son never leaves home, and it becomes a serious problem in later years. This may be yours, and his, "once in a lifetime" opportunity for him to find his feet away from home.
Hi Deborah, I was interested to read your post because it reminds me of my son when he was 18. I'm sorry I can't answer your question about Benefits but I would like to tell you about my son, Ricky, who is now 25. Ricky was diagnosed as having mild Aspergers at 18. Ricky didn't want to continue with his education either. He tried a few jobs but due to his anxiety left after a day or two. I did everything I could to help him but nothing worked. Over the next few years he turned to heavy drinking and playing computer games all the time. He has friends, but sadly, the wrong sort of friends who have lead him astray. So my conclusion is I absolutely agree with bowlingbun - if you can find anything suitable for him then do it! Don't let him just waste his time away like my son.