[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
LIVE Q&A on maximizing income post pension age, 11am-12:30pm - Carers UK Forum

LIVE Q&A on maximizing income post pension age, 11am-12:30pm

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Today is day five of Carers Week (8-14 June) and we are running our final LIVE Question and Answer session with one of our helpline advisers. Today's topic is on Maximizing income over state pension age.

To join, just post your question below between 11:00am-12:30pm and one of our Helpline advisers will respond. Your question can be related to your experience or be for a friend or be something general.

We hope you can join us.
This is an interesting one.

As I have been caring for years I have not been able to pay extra into a pension scheme like a working friend has.

Can you tell me what extra benefits the government has for people who are unable to do this.
by Susan_20041234 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:20 am
Hi New to this site, I am 73 still working for myself was until Covid cannot claim as my pensions are more than I earn, my husband is bedbound he has rheumatoid spondelitis and he had a stroke 5years ago which took most of his sight, he is a heavy drinker and that takes priority over everythng else which means at the moment I am really struggling for cash I have very little social life as he will not have anyone else in so I never have a holiday a day out and he wants to know when I will be back, sorry to moan I know others are a lot worse ff than me
Sue
Cloudygal wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:54 am
This is an interesting one.

As I have been caring for years I have not been able to pay extra into a pension scheme like a working friend has.

Can you tell me what extra benefits the government has for people who are unable to do this.
Hello Cloudygal,

Thank you for your question, it is as you say an interesting one and something that affects many carers.

If as a carer you have been receiving Carers Allowance, then as part of the Carers Allowance claim your National Insurance record is credited with a Class 1 National Insurance stamp which helps towards making sure you receive a State Retirement Pension that has not been reduced due to your caring responsibilities.

Carer’s Credit is also an important way of protecting pension rights for people who are caring for someone but are not paying NI contributions through paid work and are unable to claim Carer’s Allowance. You do not get paid any money if you claim Carer's Credit, but you get a NI contribution credit to help protect your record and therefore increase any State Retirement Pension you may receive.

To claim Carer’s Credit you need to be looking after someone for a total of 20 hours or more a week. The person you are looking after must normally be getting one of the following:
• the middle or the higher rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
• the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) (at either rate)
• Attendance Allowance (at either rate) or Constant Attendance Allowance
• Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

If the person you’re caring for doesn’t get one of these benefits, you may still be able to get Carer’s Credit. When you apply, fill in the Care Certificate part of the application form and get a health or social care professional to sign it.

There is further information about claiming Carers Credit, including how to claim available here:
https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... ance#sec2
When you are of state retirement age, any extra help and support available to you through welfare benefits will be based on your household circumstances, such as your income sources and savings. Currently you may be eligible for help through Pension Credits, Universal Credit and or support with your Council Tax for example. You may also be able to stay on a combination of Carers Allowance and State Retirement Pension, if the amount of State Retirement Pension you receive is less than the amount of Carers Allowance that is being paid at that time.

Again we have some further information about welfare benefits available on the main website here: https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... -benefits

One thing we would also always suggest is that if someone is experiencing a change of circumstances or a reduction in income that they have a welfare benefits check to make sure they are not missing out financially.

Here on the advice team we are always happy to carry out welfare benefits checks and you can get in touch with us directly on adviceline@carersuk.org and we would let you know what information we would need to carry out a check.

Alternately you can carry out a welfare benefit check using an online calculator such as Turn2Us https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou or Entiteldto. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/ However, these calculators are not able to cover complex situations.

I hope this is helpful and thank you again for your question.

Elizabeth.
Lizzie Carers UK wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:27 am
by Susan_20041234 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:20 am
Hi New to this site, I am 73 still working for myself was until Covid cannot claim as my pensions are more than I earn, my husband is bedbound he has rheumatoid spondelitis and he had a stroke 5years ago which took most of his sight, he is a heavy drinker and that takes priority over everythng else which means at the moment I am really struggling for cash I have very little social life as he will not have anyone else in so I never have a holiday a day out and he wants to know when I will be back, sorry to moan I know others are a lot worse ff than me
Sue
Hello Sue,

Thank you for getting in touch i can see how difficult things are for you at the moment both financially and emotionally.

Sue there is absolutely no need to apologise, caring for someone is really hard work especially if you are not able to have a break and take some time out for yourself.

As I can see that you have so much going on i would like to get in touch with you directly and look at ways that you can both access some financial help as well as options for some emotional support that I hope will help not only short term but also further into future.

I will be getting in touch with you from the following email address
adviceline@carersuk.org later today so please look out for it

Kind regards,

Elizabeth
Thank you Elizabeth

I do get Carers Allowance so looking at the link it says I will automatically get carers credit, I think I checked this a while back so I will get the correct pension.