[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chronic back pain - newbie - Carers UK Forum

Chronic back pain - newbie

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi folks,
I am new to this site and care for my husband who has chronic back pain and currently waiting for surgery to remove an implant which is believed to be causing pressure on his nerves - horrible pain which the painkillers don't do much for.
I work part-time and have a 9yr old son.
We have had problems with my husband being listed for surgery as 'non-urgent' despite being kept waiting because of a mix up with his referral (waited an extra year to see a consultant) - took all my time and energy to sort it out but got there in the end. Hurrah!
My husband has had great benefit from going to Water Running classes (which I teach) up until recently but he is now so deteriorated that he cannot do enough in the water to keep warm which is so sad but we are both looking forward to him going back to the pool post-op.
Would like to hear from anyone in the same boat so to speak! Image
linda
Hello Linda....

First an apology. I am not in the same boat. I can't even swim. But..... I was interested in your posting especially Water Running. Sounds like a very useful thing to do. Sorry to hear of delays but delighted that, through persistance no doubt, things are moving forward. Being in pain is just awful. And caring for someone in pain is almost as bad. So I hope very much that the operation happens soon and that life will be better, for you both, as a result.

A very warm welcome to Carers UK Forum. A very good place to be Image

Robert
Hi Robert,
thanks for your good wishes - Water Running is a massive topic but here goes:
Ideally in deep water with a floatation belt or can be in chest depth
Structured specific class to music
Equivalent to treadmill running
Offers pain relief
Reduction in swelling - promotes healing
Improves posture, form, core strength, balance, flexibility, co-ordination,relaxation, mind/muscle connections, strength and endurance to name a few...
Suitable for just about anyone of any age or ability - I have marathon runners next to disabled/post-rehab/diabetics/MS/ME/Obese/arthritis/knee replacement/serious back issues/double hip replacement - men and women and they all come to my classes - I don't know of another group fitness class in which this can happen - brilliant!
I do have one article which I wrote and had published and one just published in Athletics Weekly that I contributed to which I am happy to email out to anyone wanting more information - also have links to other articles for arthritis etc
Hope this is helpful = i am off to teach my wonderful participants this evening Image
Linda Image
Hi Linda, welcome and thanks for the above info Image
Hi Linda,
Welcome Image
Never heard of Water Running before, but it sounds very interesting.
x
Thanks for the welcome everyone and looking forward to being part of the group!
Had a great class last night - keeps me going as well since hubby is worn out with pain - when we first got together he was underweight following his first back surgery so I got my cooks hat on and fed him healthily and he started Water Running which improved his fitness and quality of life.
Sometimes it is hard to keep that in my mind so that I have good hopes for this second operation and he can get back to being the person he was.
We don't expect miracles but any improvement in the pain would be a bonus.
I want to see that cheeky twinkle back in his eye!
Linda Image
Hi and welcome.Used to be able to walk on water,then found myself treading water,before long i was struggling to keep my head above water,now i`m just sinking like a stone. Image Image Great post and nice to hear of something new to me. Image Image Image
:
Hi and welcome.Used to be able to walk on water,then found myself treading water,before long i was struggling to keep my head above water,now i`m just sinking like a stone. Image Image Great post and nice to hear of something new to me. Image Image Image

Image ...I'm sure so many carers would agree with that Michael!

Welcome to the forum Linda.

Bell x
Thanks for the explanation re Water Running, Linda. I had never heard of this before, but I am really keen on any therapies that bring relief. Traditional medicine has its limits. Just a shame that so many 'alternative medicines' are so costly. I'm a great believer in massage. And an even greater believer in certain meditation techniques.

Michael, I think Running Water was a close friend of Hiawatha Image

Robert
If anyone wants to know where they can access Water Running classes there are a very few around a friend of mine in Lee-on-Solent teaches in that area (I can get full details as I am not sure when and where) and I teach in the Monmouthshire and also S.Gloucestershire (Thornbury and starting in March at Kingswood Leisure Centre) area.
Classes are reasonably priced at £3.60-£4.30 so easy to try out without breaking the bank!
Have a great weekend people and keep warm - now going to put another log on the woodburner to keep us all cosy.
Linda Image