[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Just Joined - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Just Joined

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
MrsAverage wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:10 pm
You can change your user name by going to
User Control Panel
edit Account settings

We recommend people don't use real names, or real names of caree. Most of us on here are genuine but a few may not be. We also get regular visits from various 'bots' trying to glean information

Hope this helps
MrsA
MrsAverage wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:10 pm
You can change your user name by going to
User Control Panel
edit Account settings

We recommend people don't use real names, or real names of caree. Most of us on here are genuine but a few may not be. We also get regular visits from various 'career trying to glean information

Hope this helps
MrsA
I may just do that, I usually use ayjay on the net (AJ). That was bestowed on me by my pottery tutor. When I went for my first lesson she knew I was coming, but through my wife knew that I was John. When she checked her register she said, "Well, who's this Alexander?" I began to explain and she just said " I can't handle all that, you'll just have to be AJ", and all of my pottery friends know me as that.
My mum had problems tolerating the pills she had for pain relief. In the nursing home she had pain relief patches, where the active ingredient is absorbed through the skin. One was called Fentanil (spelling may not be right, but that's how it sounds). Pills are often the first choice because they are cheapest! Maybe have a chat to your local pharmacist. When I had problems when I had strong painkillers after a car accident, before my knee replacements. The pharmacist suggested I took time release capsules, rather than tablets, same active ingredient, so much kinder to my stomach.
Ray, I m glad that the Macmillan nurses will be working with you and your wife. Theyre the experts in pain management. My mother had uterine cancer for whiich the hospital offered notreatment. It was the palliative care and hospice staff who made mum more comfortable. I hope that your wife will tell you and the nursing staff when she is in pain. Mum was reluctant to tell us.

All the very best for Friday and do try to get out of your house and socialize or get a change of , if you can.
Alexander_18021 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:05 pm
Anthony_1807 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:57 am
Hello everyone.
I am Anthony, but have always been called Ray, (2nd Christian name).
Have you ever found that a problem in life Ray?

I'm in the same position, first name Alexander but have always been known as John, my second name. Everyone on my father's side of the family has been known by their second name going back as far as 1823, (which is as far as I've traced things).

It has caused problems for me at times, I'll get a cheque made out to John ******, take it into the bank to pay it in and they say, "Well, who's this John fellow, you're Alexander", I point out the second initial but it's not good enough for them, so I have to take the cheque away and doctor it and take it back a few days later.

When I joined up here, I didn't get an option of username, it just decided I was Alexander.
Hi John.

Yes it has been a problem at times, especially at work, but sometimes a boon too, people trying to look up 'Ray Howard' when attempting to find out where I lived were stumped, helpful when I was a Police Officer. The bank thing was a problem too, like you I had a few cheques returned as unable to accept. Luckily my wife started to work at a building society where we opened an account and she managed to register 'Ray' as an acceptable name for cheques which has carried over now that the society has changed to a full bank.
Being of Irish birth it appears that the use of the second name is fairly common. My first Christian name is a saints name and the second a family thing. It was taken from a great friend of my parents who was dad's best man but unfortunately died just before my birth. Like you I am tracing family backgrounds, almost impossible in Ireland worse luck as only two census records are intact, 1901 and 1911. I have still been unable to find the person I am named after, probably because Raymond was his second name also. Ironic isn't it.

Many thanks for the reply and I trust all is well with you.

Ray
Anthony_1807 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:48 pm
Hi John.

Yes it has been a problem at times, especially at work, but sometimes a boon too, people trying to look up 'Ray Howard' when attempting to find out where I lived were stumped, helpful when I was a Police Officer. The bank thing was a problem too, like you I had a few cheques returned as unable to accept. Luckily my wife started to work at a building society where we opened an account and she managed to register 'Ray' as an acceptable name for cheques which has carried over now that the society has changed to a full bank.
Being of Irish birth it appears that the use of the second name is fairly common. My first Christian name is a saints name and the second a family thing. It was taken from a great friend of my parents who was dad's best man but unfortunately died just before my birth. Like you I am tracing family backgrounds, almost impossible in Ireland worse luck as only two census records are intact, 1901 and 1911. I have still been unable to find the person I am named after, probably because Raymond was his second name also. Ironic isn't it.

Many thanks for the reply and I trust all is well with you.

Ray
Thanks Ray, it's good to know it's not only me, I suspected that you would have had similar problems.

There's no-one old enough left for me to question about my family now, but I guess, (know, really), that long ago someone named their first-born after themselves and then discovered how inconvenient it was having two people of the same name living together long term and so switched to using the second name. That's all I can think of as a reason anyway, although why anyone would perpetuate such a thing is beyond me, my son is known by his first name and doesn't share either of his Christian names with me.