[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Initiate parent move into care home? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Initiate parent move into care home?

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi Mark,

Your first contact should be to Social Services and say that your mother is unable to cope living alone, your brothers unable to care and that she needs an urgent care assessment. In these cash-strapped times you can bet your bottom dollar, Social services will do everything they can to avoid your mother going into care, ie suggest carers coming in up to 4x per day etc etc. it may be worth getting your GP on side. You need to stand firm on this (and united). Social Services will do a financial assessment to determine how much your mum has to contribute to her care, if anything. Yes, if CHC assessment is made, care would be free but don't get your hopes up, very difficult to get funding when dementia-related.

I went the respite care route myself, told Social Services I could cope no longer, needed two weeks off. Although very difficult, it did mean that the care home got used to my mum and she to them, so when the time came for permanent care, it was an easier transition than it would have been otherwise (still not easy).

while all this battle is going on, it is worth you or your family visiting care homes (make sure they are nursing homes with end of life care available) to see what is available in your area.

Good luck, not an easy time,
Anne
Thanks folks. Really appreciate your input.