[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
My Mum-Need Advice PLEASE!! - Carers UK Forum

My Mum-Need Advice PLEASE!!

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
My Mum is 81 and have noticed her memory decline a lot in the last year, sometimes when she has been a bit sleepy/tired she has asked if iam going to school tommrow(im 34) or if im going to work(im not working)

A few days ago when i went to my 24 hr tescos and came back with stuff for my self and i got my mum a choccolate bar and this was about 10pm and when i went in she had dozed off in front off the telly and i woke her up and i told her i had got her chocolate and she said to me"Did you buy one for my mum?" she was a bit sleepy and i reminded her mum was dead:(

A Few people i have spoke to about this have said it sounds like the onset of early dementia and my mum REFUSED POINT BLANK to go to the doc(our doc is an uncaring buffoon) after i had begged her to go andi said how much im worried and my mum has said shejust getting old and that it happens.

I was going to call nhs 24 and ask for advice or can i get my doc to do a home visit to her can that be done??

Advice PLEASE..

Thanks in Advance.
Hi and welcome, as this is your first post I've moved it over to new members section.
Sounds to me like your Mum needs to get assessed by her GP.
Other members will be along soon to welcome you.

Karen
Hi and welcome, as this is your first post I've moved it over to new members section.
Sounds to me like your Mum needs to get assessed by her GP.
Other members will be along soon to welcome you.

Karen
Thanks, sorry, im just in a panic, she will NOT go to the doc, it just wont happen.
Welcome to the forum Image
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I am sure others will be along to offer words of advice. In the meantime have a look at this forum
Talking Point is an online community for people with dementia and their carers, family and friends to discuss all aspects of the condition.

Hope of some use to you

x x
Welcome. My husband has recently been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia. He started off by being very forgetful although on some days he would be fine. Now he often wakes me in the night as he seems to dream and then doesn't realise he is awake - recently he told me at 2am that he had just been racing in Peru but hadn't won any money so thought he should sell his horses. During the day he will often ask something like 'When is so-and-so arriving for tea' when we are not expecting anyone. It seems to be more or less on an even keel for a time and then he gets worse suddenly. I now do all his admin as he is confused about money, cheques, the date etc. and cannot find the right words. He was very reluctant to go to a doctor, too, but I bombarded the medical centre with letters of what I thought was wrong for some time before it was serious enough so they sent him to a Memory Clinic. Now he seems to be very interested in all the attention and likes to tell people about it. It is good to have a diagnosis because then you can find out what help, if any, you can get. For instance we have just started a series of 8 meetings with other dementia patients and their carers where each week a different expert will talk to us and help with advice (e.g psychiatrist, social services, dietician, respite care). Wishing you well and hope you can get the doctor to take some action soon. Thelma
Hello and welcome Image
Thanks for all the nice words..

Update time,. i went to my local dr's practice and spoke to the receptionist about my concerns and she spome to the Nurse and i had explained that my mum POINT BLANK does not want to see a doc so they said one way of getting her to the praxtice is saying it time for her annula over 75 test so i agreed to that and she is to come to the nurse tomorrow and they will do that over 75 test and will take her blood and do something called this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-menta ... xamination

They wont tell my mum it was my idea and i had been to see them and my mum was rather puzzled when i told her she was to go for that exam(as in"why now?" and this morning she said to me"I've been thinking about this and if you have went behind my back and done this i will throw you out the house"

I of course had to tell her a"white lie" in response"
Brilliant news. Keep us posted as and when you can.

Karen
Scotsman....welcome to the forum. As you can see, a lot of people have a lot of experience that you will be able to draw on. Good luck with the doctors tomorrow, hope all goes well and you and your Mum will be able to find the help you both need.

Bell