I'm new but been a carer for 31 years plus

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
My story.
https://charmsbattleforjames.wordpress.com/

My Name is Charm I’m a mother of a 31-year-old son called James with complex disabilities..including Autism on the lower end..learning disabilities and seizures…When I asked the professionals about his future I was told there isn’t much hope…but I have faith & reject this statement…Everyone has hope in my humble opinion…
I also care for a young lady who is struggling in life at the moment..she’s just turned 17…We have a lot of ground to walk & we are walking it as we speak…
Yes, you can't take away hope, nor should you.

Your son is a fortunate young man to have you fighting his corner so fiercely - and lovely that your new young friend can benefit too. 17 is a tricky age to negotiate around. Everything can get on top of you very, very quickly.

Kind regards, Jenny
We all need hope.
From a humble ' hope my visit to my husband in the nursing home is good today' to future generations not having to go through what we do!

I agree, your son is very fortunate to have you. Love and devotion can give so much strength. I do hope you manage time for yourself.
Hi Charm, welcome to the forum. My son is 38, he has SLD, can't read or write but fit and well. I believe life is all about living as well as we can, regardless of disability.
bowlingbun wrote:Hi Charm, welcome to the forum. My son is 38, he has SLD, can't read or write but fit and well. I believe life is all about living as well as we can, regardless of disability.
Hey bowlingbun, Love your attitude towards disability. I have exactly the same attitude and it works brilliantly doesn't it. Hoping to see you around forums and hopefully, you can give me the experience of your knowledge of caring for 38 yrs when I need help. Thank you so much and RESPECT TO YOU AS AN SLD CARER OF 38 YEARS ALSO.
jenny lucas wrote:Yes, you can't take away hope, nor should you.

Your son is a fortunate young man to have you fighting his corner so fiercely - and lovely that your new young friend can benefit too. 17 is a tricky age to negotiate around. Everything can get on top of you very, very quickly.

Kind regards, Jenny
Hiya Jenny, Thank you so much. Oh yes absolutely. Right now I have more of a challenge with the 17 yr old than with my son. But we're getting there. They have so many worries at 17 just like we had at a similar age:)
Pet66 wrote:We all need hope.
From a humble ' hope my visit to my husband in the nursing home is good today' to future generations not having to go through what we do!

I agree, your son is very fortunate to have you. Love and devotion can give so much strength. I do hope you manage time for yourself.
Hiya Pet66, Oh I do hope your visit was great to see your husband. You must tell me how it went. Yes, you've hit the nail on the head regarding future generations. Hopefully, they will not struggle as much as we have:) I have hope for our generation too though;)
charm_1965 wrote:
Pet66 wrote:We all need hope.

Hiya Pet66, Oh I do hope your visit was great to see your husband. You must tell me how it went. Yes, you've hit the nail on the head regarding future generations. Hopefully, they will not struggle as much as we have:) I have hope for our generation too though;)
Oh and thank you for what you said about my son. I do get time out. I have some great support right now:)