[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
I'm a newbie - my 87 yr old mother lives with us - Carers UK Forum

I'm a newbie - my 87 yr old mother lives with us

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
I'm in rural Suffolk and my mother has been living with us for over 2 years. She has deteriorated quickly this last year with a few falls, the last of which resulted in a 6 week hospital stay;her short term memory is also getting very poor and she is quite wobbly. Our house isn't really suitable but we can make major changes but are waiting for some help to assess how likely it is that she will be able to get upstairs even with a stair-lift. Lots of day to day frustrations and we question all the time the balance between letting her do things which would increase the likelihood of another fall and doing things for her. Really interested to read other people's experiences and learn from their much greater knowledge.
Hello - like you, my caree is an elderly lady, my MIL, but her health isn't as bad as your mums (and I'm trying v. hard not to let her move in with me!!!!).

I know you'll find plenty of people here with a lot of experience in caring in similar situations as yours.

To be honest, my advice would be to do whatever makes your life easier (assuming your mum is OK).....you're sacrificing enough of it as it is!
Welcome to the forum. I'm not a great fan of stair lifts. After a serious car accident ruined my knees, my son converted my garage to a downstairs bedroom for me, it's the loveliest bedroom I've ever had.
We couldn't have a stair lift due to Dads disability being the loss of all use in the left hand side of his body, we had a bedroom with en suite bathroom bolted onto the existing house instead, this I am hoping will be a godsend if Mum should get to the stage where she cannot do the stairs, at the moment she gets up and down the stairs quicker than me but tends to be wobbly if she turns to speak to someone when walking - the extension more than paid for itself for my Dads need tho' xxxx