[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Yes the classic Urinary Tract Infection - Carers UK Forum

Yes the classic Urinary Tract Infection

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Good evenming all

My 83 old dad from yesterday as been given some antibiotics from the doctor, to be taken 1, 2 times a day, he had one thursday late afternoon and 2 today friday, just wondering how long do they take to work, because my dad is going to the toilet frequently but not peeing much, i guess the infection is irritating his bladder, and it's making me anxious, seeing its very close to a bank holiday I.E xmas.
The tablets are Trimethoprim, hes resting and drink water a lot, hes retch sometimes.
Anyway can anyone give me a time frame for the tablets to start working.
Contact your local pharmacy
Well the Trimethoprim tablets did not work at all, still in pain when peeing, so i contacted the doctor this morning, i wanted to contact doctor yesterday but my dad said no he wanted to run with the Trimethoprim tablets but i talked him into getting hold of the doctor today, anyway doctor as changed them to selexid penicillin, really hoping these start working soon, very upsetting to see my dad like this, oh and i took a urine sample in, being sick when a bank holiday is just around the corner is not good at with my anxious and it's sky high, hope he gets some sleep tonight, in bed, up and down all last night, he ended up sleeping in the living room easy chair, it's getting him down now.
Is he drinking plenty? Absolutely vital with a UTI.
Oh yes he's drinking a lot of water, but last night he didn't last long in bed before he gave up on it, and ended up in the living room easy chair again because of him getting up and out every 5min for the toilet, but i think the new tablets are starting to work he said theres a slight change, not sure if he's just saying that to make me happier.
I do hope it's turning the corner, for both your sakes.
I've had some vicious UTI's, Trimethoprim has worked, but it zapped all my energy.
@bowlingbun thank you.

He's just had another selexid tablet, then he had a small breakfast, he doesn't want to eat much, and i've not felt like having much aswell, the worring as got to me i guess.
Left him now a sleep in the living room, hope he gets a lot of sleep don't think he had much in the early hours.
If a second anti-biotic doesn't work they need to make a culture of the urine (a new sample) to ascertain what the actual infection is and then prescribe the appropriate anti-biotic.
Looks like they are working now, the selexid, he said the burning feeling as subsided, but he said it's still uncomfortable to sit, but still good for just 1 day of taking the second load of tablets, i have never had a UTI, guess i may have this to come later in life.
Royd,
Glad they are working.

Melly1