How do I carry on?

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Vicki - only 20 minutes, that's not very helpful !

Perhaps you could also try ringing the Samaritans - they're not there just for people who want to commit suicide but for those who need to talk through problems to help find a solution.
I couldn't believe it when the lady I was talking to went, 'well we've come to the end of our time today'!

I've tried Samaritans too, they are good listeners.....I need more practical help. My doctors said make a list of things to do, but I cant think what needs doing!
From re-reading your original post I'd suggest you sit down quietly and think things through - practically you need to consider

your family relationships
housing
job / income

your refer to your partner as your "ex" so I have to presume that you are no longer together and that there is no chance that you will get back together - if that is the case then you need to start to either re-build friendships that have fallen by the wayside or make new friends.

I think the idea of counselling is a good one - your GP can refer you. A good counsellor will help you decide on your goals and help you find ways to achieve them.
Hi Vikki.
I'm going to suggest a book for you, its called Bothered by Margot Sunderland, it explains so much.
Best Wishes
Madfloyd