[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
House Improvements - Carers UK Forum

House Improvements

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
hi all just started on here and all new to this, bit about myself, 58, married working as a courier part time,( 25hrs) and the main carer for my disabled wife , things are a bit bad at the mo for us both , been told we may have to move house cos supposedly the council cant adapt ours , been there for 23 yrs and its gonna break our hearts , any one know of any organisations who can help us to get the work done and not move . have a good nite you all
Have you tried approaching social services regarding the adaptations?
Our neighbour had an extension built on to her house, consisting of a bedroom, and bathroom. The bedroom door had an electric ramp on the outside, so the son had easy access to the house.
He died three years ago, aged 44.
The property is privately owned. And they had the work done via Social Services.

Different rules may apply in different parts of the country.
When we had an extension put on to our house - so my elderly parents could live with us - we had to pay for everything ourselves - even though my mother was completely disabled.
After a serious car accident damaged both knees, I couldn't climb stairs comfortably. The pain was so bad that when no one could see me I'd go up using hands as well as feet. My son converted our garage for me, with the aid of a few friends, a carpenter, and an electrician. It's lovely. We'd had used a structural engineer for another project, he drew up all the plans, got them passed for building regs. etc. I now have a Tardis bedroom. It looks small from the outside, but feels huge inside. The once very low ceiling was removed after the roof timbers were strengthened, so I have a vaulted ceiling which makes it so airy and spacious. The ensuite has a washer/dryer fitted, and the entrance is via my conservatory, so if I ever need carers myself, they won't need to go into the main house. Planning exactly where I wanted everything was great fun for me, part of my work used to involve desktop publishing, so I drew a scale floor plan and then scale bed etc. You can buy simple design software if you like. I would suggest that you try and work out a rough idea of what you want before approaching anyone, after all you are the ones who are going to use it (As a keen needlewoman, having a long worktop for my machines was important, with a row of sockets just above the worktop). Think about the details too. I have my own toaster, kettle etc. so if I want a cuppa in the middle of the night I don't sleep well. I can't fill the kettle at the sink, which annoys me. I should have thought about having a swan neck tap! Hope that helps.
hi all just started on here and all new to this, bit about myself, 58, married working as a courier part time,( 25hrs) and the main carer for my disabled wife , things are a bit bad at the mo for us both , been told we may have to move house cos supposedly the council cant adapt ours , been there for 23 yrs and its gonna break our hearts , any one know of any organisations who can help us to get the work done and not move . have a good nite you all
Difficult without knowing the details, there are so many ways in which accessing funding for adaptations or being refused adaptations can occur, for example, it could be due to the difficulty in providing the necessary adaptations in this type of property, the availability of funding, funding being available but the landlord, either social or private, if you are in rented accommodation, refusing to agree to the adaptations.

There are organisations who will try to assist in obtaining funding if funding is the issue, for example SAFFA if you or a close relative have been in the armed forces, but if the problem is due to difficulties with adapting the type of property, and these can sometimes be overcome, or a landlord refusing to agree to the type of adaptation your wife needs it can be more difficult or even impossible.
Hi.

Am I right in asuming that your home is a council property? (If not, please ignore the rest of this message). Also have you contacted the council yourself to ask about adaptations or have you had an assessment through social services? If you haven't had an assessment this would be your first point of call as they will say what kind of adaptations you require and will contact the council housing department themselves (at least that is what happened with us). If you have already had an assessment and the council is saying they can't do the adaptations requested it might be useful to contact social services again for advice and/or contact the citizens advice bureau for advice on your rights as a council tenant. It may be the case that if the adaptations are costly and complicated and they have properties that are more suitable for your wife's needs, that they can refuse to do the adaptations. But you would need to get some advice on this. But councils do do extensions, disabled bathrooms, through floor lifts etc.
We are currently waiting adaptations on our house. It took a long time for something suitable to be designed I think sometimes they look for the easiest/cheapest option.
In our case instead of an extension for a bedroom with a wetroom included our open plan living room is having a wall put up to make a bedroom and hallway and a wet room is going to be added to the living room (its so much easier to explain when your stood in the room Image )
It was myself and the ot that came up with this option after a very frustrating afternoon coming up with other options
It really does depend on what the needs are & the house is like. We have friends who live in a 3 story town house where the kitchen is on the ground floor, the lounge & bathroom on the middle & the bedroom on the top. They struggle with stairs but have been told that it would be impossible to put in a stair lift as each flight actually bends round on itself, they are narrow with poor walls & there are 2 flights. In this case social services really do have a point! No room downstairs for an extension or conversion. They have no option but to move - unfortunately they own the house with negative equity & have no hope of a mortgage due to disabilities........

It may break your heart to leave but maybe it would be the best option?
Thank you to all the people who replied to my post, lots to think about, ive come to the conclusion that the Council are just being bloody minded, im no expert but with a tape measure and a pencil i have sketched out a plan and am now getting a lift company to at least give me a yes or no if an internal lift can be fitted, if they say no, then is the decider for me . have a good day all.
Barry, don't ignore the possibility of a through-floor lift if a stairlift is difficult. Although it would be more expensive, it would be useful for longer if your wife has a condition which could deteriorate to the point that getting on/off a stairlift becomes difficult/impossible. If it would take out the need for bathroom adaptation, the stairlift+bathroom cost could well be more than a through-floor lift which takes the person in a wheelchair.