[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hi to all - Carers UK Forum

Hi to all

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi

I am 57 and have been caring for my daughter for a few years not knowing that she had ms until August of last year. It is tough to know that my beautiful 29 year old daughter has such a potentially debilitating condition. I am coming to terms with it but am finding it very difficult. She is just in the process of applying for her PIP and I have watching her break down in tears trying to understand the form. She is very intelligent but her cognitive skills have been severely damaged by this dreadful condition. Was wondering if there is anyone else on here in a similar position. Thank yiu
Hi Judith and welcome,

I have split your post from the other thread and given you one of your own.

It must be devastating for both of you coming to terms with your daughter's diagnosis. The forum is here to offer support both emotional and with practical suggestions too.

Also, the helpline is excellent at giving financial support and signposting where other help is available. It might be worth emailing them and requesting a call back.

Melly1
Hello, Judith, and welcome.

Sorry to hear of your daughter's diagnosis. Devastating at any age but always seems so much worse when the person is younger. The forms are horrible to fill in, although a friend of mine was diagnosed with MS last year and his various benefits/blue badge etc were sorted out fairly quickly so hopefully you might find the same.
Judith_1504 wrote:Hi

I am 57 and have been caring for my daughter for a few years not knowing that she had ms until August of last year. It is tough to know that my beautiful 29 year old daughter has such a potentially debilitating condition. I am coming to terms with it but am finding it very difficult. She is just in the process of applying for her PIP and I have watching her break down in tears trying to understand the form. She is very intelligent but her cognitive skills have been severely damaged by this dreadful condition. Was wondering if there is anyone else on here in a similar position. Thank yiu
Hello Judith,

Welcome to the forum.

If you PM me I'll help you & your daughter through the process & if you want me to I'll give you my phone number if you'd find it easier to talk.

I've just completed a very successful PIP claim, which was awarded at the 1st attempt, for my wife who has cognitive issues.

It really wasn't all that difficult & I'll try to make it as easy as possible for you.
Hello Judith,

Are the rest of the forum members safe to assume that, since you've never replied to any offers of help, that you no longer need any help & your daughter's PIP form has been completed?

When someone joins & asks for help it's nice to know what the outcome is as it may well help others.
caravanj I too agree with what you say about replying even if it is to say everything is going okay!
I read alot of posts and try to comment on those I either have an interest or experience of, it is just common manners. All we can hope is that Judith is sorted.
We don't know what is happening in the life of the OP, if there has been a crisis or sudden illness so it's pretty harsh to assume it's bad manners? If the OP is able/wants to come back, then the offers of help are there for her. I don't see the problem to be honest.

I may have read it wrong but I didn't see a specific request for help with the PIP form, more Judith's understandable distress at seeing her daughter the way she is now. Regardless of reason for posting, I hope she is ok and knows that she is welcome here at any time.
On a forum, I never expect a reply, but if I email someone, I do. People often come here when there is a crisis, that's exactly why they searched for a carer's forum in the first place. I've had many times when I couldn't contribute much, due to my caring responsibilities. At one stage my husband and I had 5 carees all entitled to highest DLA Care! (Whilst running a business and a national club and writing a quarterly magazine). Now I've lost all but my son with SLD, and I've been widowed, and for various reasons, I'm home a lot at the moment. I share my own experiences in the hope that others can avoid some of the pitfalls I've met. Sometimes, people write and thank me, either directly onto the forum, or as a PM, which I like, but I know what it's like at the "coal face" too.