[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hi, I´m a newbie - Carers UK Forum

Hi, I´m a newbie

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
As well as having a full-time job as a teacher (stressful enough) I am also the prime carer of both my parents who are 89 and 90 years old respectively. My mother has early vascular dementia, frequent double-incontinence, chronic UTI´s, ulcerative colitis, psoriasis and arthritis in knees. Father hasn´t been diagnosed with dementia but shows signs nevertheless, has atrial fibrillation and has just been fitted with a pacemaker (his heart rate had gone done to 20 per minute!) Both take a cocktail of medication daily, not all of which I am sure is necessary. Have had Social Services arranged carers for the last year and we are now in the process of going over to direct payments.
Anyone else in a similar position regarding care and direct payments?
Hi Ros and welcome Image
Hi and welcome Image
Welcome
I'm not in a similar situation (son with SLD and elderly frail mum) but one thing is for certain, you need lots of help now, and if you don't get it, you'll get ill instead (like I did). So just keep pushing and pushing until you get the services mum and dad need, and take care of yourself too.
gosh, sounds like you have your hands full. so much so make sure that you claim enough DP to cover the paperwork that needs to be done.
My daughter claims DP for her care and included in the assessment was enough to pay for somebody else to do the considerable amount of paperwork involved. we use our local carers support office to do this, but i believe that some councils have their own facilities for this, but please check. don't get involved with doing it yourself. good luck.
Depending on where you live, Penderels or Pendrels Trust might be able to help. They deal with my son's ILF payments and hardly charge anything for the work involved!
hi and welcome