[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hi from the Republic of Ireland! - Carers UK Forum

Hi from the Republic of Ireland!

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi all!

Chuck here from Galway in the Rep of Ireland. I am currently unemployed and although I have no experience of or in the caring industry, I am considering it as career option given the abundance of employment and training opportunities currently available both here and in the UK. I consider myself to be a friendly, kind and empathetic person and believe that i have the right personality for the role, I am here to chat with others and learn what I can.
Charles, it's lovely to hear someone enthusiastic about working in caring.

Before I go on, though, I'm afraid you'll hear from me, and others here, that actually this forum is for family carers, not professional carers ('care workers' as 'officially' they are!).

I have to say it's not immediately obvious from the website name that that is so, but you'll find if you start reading all the posts, all of us here are family carers in some form or other (our carees are parents/spouses/children/other relatives, occasionally friends, etc).

That said, I would suggest that if your membership here continues, then do please read all of our postings and threads, as that will immediately give you an excellent (and probably quite 'shocking' in a way!) taste of what families are up against when it comes to looking after relatives with needs. You will see that one of the 'keywords' we use is 'stress'....another is 'frustration' (usually, sigh with the NHS and Social Services, both of which are chronically underfunded for the amount of demand placed on them.)

You will see that broadly speaking carees divide into those with physical impairment or mental impairment (or both). Mental Health impairment, by way of 'MH' specifically, features, perhaps, most strongly in younger carees (very often, sadly, teen and young adults), and also in spouses.

Mental impairment by way of dementia features VERY strongly in terms of carees who are very elderly. For many, many, many middle aged children, it is the dementia aspect of their very elderly parents' situation that is THE most difficult, expensive and wearing and distressing. For example, my caree is my 92 y.o MIL (Mother in law) whose physical health overall is remarkably good for a lady her age....yet dementia has now made her completely helpless and requiring 24x7 care (in a residential care home, as I was facing a nervous breakdown trying to look after her myself).

Mental 'particularities' (I won't call them impairments as that is both controversial and even prejudicial?) such as autism also feature quite strongly amongst parents of children and young adults, and bring their own particular problems and stresses.

Apart from the overall category of 'mental issues', there is also, of course, a variety of physical issues, from MS to cancer etc etc, which can affect all age groups of carees, and which, again, all bring their own stresses and difficulties for carers.

By and large, if you bear in mind, as you browse the threads, that a carer's life is under near constant pressure, that support from the NHS and SS is 'patchy' (it can be brilliant, it can be the opposite!), and that carers are constantly trying to balance their own lives with the needs of their carees, that there are sometimes intense financial pressures on carers, and that in a way caring is always 'a club no one wants to join' (!) (even if taken at the sense of we just wish our carees didn't NEED care!), and that love can go a long, long way.....but that even love has its limits (!), then I would say you are getting an excellent 'ground level view' of your future clients.....

Finally, speaking as my MIL's 'carer' (though not, any more, thank heavens, on a daily basis!) I have absolutely nothing but praise and intense gratitude (grovelling gratitude mostly!) for all those who make a career out of caring. If it weren't for professional care-workers, I would be very possibly dead by now. I don't say that lightly - I was seriously contemplating driving my car headfirst into a wall with me and my MIL in it, things had go so bad. Caring for her had made my life not worth living, and an unbearable prison for myself.

I may be extreme, but I doubt I'm the only one in the UK who felt that way!
To save confusion I'm wondering whether the subtitle at the top of the website should read: making life better for unpaid carers?
Emma_1507123 wrote:To save confusion I'm wondering whether the subtitle at the top of the website should read: making life better for unpaid carers?
Hi Emma,

Thanks for your comments. We agree with you and recognise that there is confusion between carer and care worker. And thank you for your feedback that the current strapline isn't making it any less confusing!

I've circulated your comments to the team and it's definitely something that will be at the front our minds as we shape how we're going to reach more people who are caring for family and friends.

Thanks,

Kate