[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hi fellow carers - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Hi fellow carers

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Who are you calling mad
I think that might refer to you John!!!!! Image Image
Who are you calling mad
I think that might refer to you John!!!!! Image Image

Grrrrrrr you're heading for a sore botty Image Image Image
Grrrrrrr you're heading for a sore botty
CHEEKY!!!!! Image Image
Grrrrrrr you're heading for a sore botty
CHEEKY!!!!! Image Image

Come off it you'd enjoy it Image Image
John, we shouldn't hijack new members threads like this, it's not fair. These first posts are important & I don't feel comfy deviating like we are.
I have been told that one caree can only have one carer entitled to carers allowance even though two carers may be both involved in caring for well over 35 hours a week. Is this true?
Hi Danny, and welcome!

Caring does kind of creep up on you sometimes, doesn't it? Image

As for your question, I'm afraid it is true. No matter how many hours a person puts in as a carer, if someone else is also providing care and receives the Carers Allowance for the same person, that's it. Conversely, if one carer is supporting more than one person (this is more common than you might think), they can only receive one Carers Allowance.
Hi Danny. I'm afriad Charles is right. This is soemthing Carers UK has been campaigning on. A recent comittee of MP's looked into the problem and they recommended something be doen to put it right. The government has sort of accepted that the allowance doesn't reflect the variety of caring situations but all they have said is that they are goingto review carers benefits. So at the moment it is unlikely to change until that review is carried out.

All the best

Matt
hi danny

welcome to the forum Image
John, we shouldn't hijack new members threads like this, it's not fair. These first posts are important & I don't feel comfy deviating like we are.

Yep ok sorry Danny Image
Hi Danny...welcome aboard. I agree it came as a bit of a shock when I realised after seeing mums social work assessment that I was considered her main carer. I´m sure you will receive lots of support from the members on here...just ask. Take care .
Thanks no1mum but its OK you can do what you want with my thread. It seems that humour is the No 1 coping mechanism for carers.
Anyone out there dealing with the consequneces of Parkinson's? I am currently having to alter the house to help my wife get around. At the moment it seems to consist of mainly putting grab handles in strategic places. Trouble with thresholds, moving in bed (does anyone know a good source of cheap satin sheets?), being safe on stairs etc. We have an occupational therapist from the local authority coming to assess the house with this in mind. Has anyone any hints how to get this to work for us - I seem to be investing a lot of much needed cash in this. This is all new territory to me.
Good to be aboard
Danny