[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
When a child turns 16.... - Carers UK Forum

When a child turns 16....

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
hello fellow carers,
i am 51 and a lone parent (wife jumped ship on new years eve 2007). I have a son studying A-levels and a daughter who has mental health problems.
My daughter is on anti-depressives and anti-psychotics, and recieves pschotherapy and psychiatric treatment on a twice weekly basis....one day i hope to have her back in the real world so she can enjoy life, and grow into the beatiful woman i know she can become.
She (my daughter) has now turned 16.
Because of her condition she is unable to go into further education, nor is she able to participate in the world of work.
CB (Child Benefit) and CTC (Child Tax Credit), including DLA addition, will stop for her in january...this will be a major income drop for us....and i don't know how we are expected to survive.
I do have an inside contact within the benefits system who is digging and asking questions (carefully) but, as yet, has not found an alternative income replacement.
Q....Does anybody know of an alternative financial benefit, that can be claimed to offset the loss of CB & CTC, for a child who cannot participate normaly in the next stage of adulthood?
It's a hard life, but we do what we do for the ones we love.
On a more cheerful note, i am pretty good with computers, software etc, if anyone needs help or advice along those lines....just ask!
Incapacity In Youth is the one your daughter needs.

You need to apply for Income Support for her too.

As the Incapacity In Youth rises the Income Support will eventually cease.

When that happens you will then need to apply for prescriptions etc. via health benefits.

You will need to see her GP and get a sick note for 28 weeks (I think, please check this) prior to her 16 birthday and then there will be no waiting time.

You could request that you are her appointee if your not already.

Obviously your CTC will finsh earlier then as she cannot be in reciept of benefits in her own right as well as you receive CTC.

I hope that's helpful but please check everything first as I'm no expert, just a Mum who has done this for all 3 of mine once they reached 16.
Sorry I forgot to say that these benefits will be your daughters and not yours.

But as soon as mine had their own income/benefit they paid for their keep so hopefully this will offset a great deal of what you will lose.

Also don't forget to sign the council forms to say your daughter is severely mentally impaired and her benefits will not be taken into account for council tax purposes.

If I think of anything else I'll get back to you. Good luck with it all.
Have you applied for DLA for your daughter? If she's entitled to middle or higher rate care component, normally middle is the best you're likely to achieve with MH issues, you may, depending on your circumstances, be entitled to Carers Allowance or the Carers Premium. Also IB(Y) will be ESA(Y) and is somewhat different to IB. I really would advise getting in touch with a Welfare Rights organisation for advice and help in claiming such as your local CAB or your daughter may be able to access help with claiming benefits either through your LA social services department or her mental health team.

By the way, I love the name, can I ask you why "nakedintherain" or is it best not to Image ?
Hi Nakedintherain nice to meet you and welcome to the forums Image
Good morning from a very wet and windy Bournemouth,
First off, thanks for the swift replies and greetings; very much appreciated i assure you.
On to specifics.
Pixie....Incapacity Benefit in Youth ceases as a benefit from the 27th October 2008 (online pdf application form will be removed at the end of play on the 24th october 2008).
I have been informed that my daughter will have to apply for Employment Support Allowance in Youth (entitlement dependant upon medical assessment by claimants GP) about 4 weeks before CB & CTC ceases. If anybody is interested, contact: National Claim Line for JobCentre on 0800 055 6688.
Parsifal....My daughter recieves the higher rate care component of DLA and i am in reciept of Carers Allowance. You are correct in saying IB(Y) will be ESA(Y), this was confirmed when i rang the Benefits Enquiry Line for People with Disabilities (0800 88 22 00).
In answer to your question why "nakedintherain", well, let's just say it's where my head is, at the moment!.....Where are you in your personal quest, found your Kundry yet?
johnboy4185....Thank you for the welcome, and nice to meet you too.

[/b]
Pixie....Incapacity Benefit in Youth ceases as a benefit from the 27th October 2008 (online pdf application form will be removed at the end of play on the 24th october 2008).
I have been informed that my daughter will have to apply for Employment Support Allowance in Youth (entitlement dependant upon medical assessment by claimants GP) about 4 weeks before CB & CTC ceases. If anybody is interested, contact: National Claim Line for JobCentre on 0800 055 6688.
You can still claim though before that date and continue to be entitled to IB until they move exsisting IB claiments onto ESA. There is no set date for this as yet as far as I'm aware so it could take some time to graduate all existing IB claiments onto ESA.
Until they move your daughter off IB onto ESA the rules of IB apply.
hello nakedintherain

welcome to the forum Image

krys
xx
It may be worth putting your daughter's claim for IB in now before the start of ESA and, if she passes the assessment, as pixie says, she can remain on IB(Y) until she's transferred to ESA, it's normally the date of claim which matters not the date that entitlement is determined but I'm not sure about the interaction with CB and CTC. It really is worth talking to an independent Welfare Rights Officer, I've found that the DWP can get it horribly wrong and you can be left without money you're entitled to. IB would certainly be preferable to ESA which places greater demands on the claimant in order to avoid sanctions.

I haven't recovered the Spear yet let alone discovered the Holy Grail but I'm working on getting a better deal for carers along with other like-minded campaigners.
I'm taking on board the advice that is being given here, so my next action will be to get in touch with the CAB and see what that turns up.....also chat to my tame Benefits contact about IB(Y) v ESA(Y).....Why is our Benefits System geared towards the maxim "if you don't ask, we won't tell you!".

Hello Krys, thanks for the welcome.