[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hi been registered short time first post. - Carers UK Forum

Hi been registered short time first post.

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi pretty new to this forum, I live in Newport, South Wales and care for my mother, she has Vascular Dementia, 8 years. A bit stressed at he moment, she has just gone into respite for 6 days and I feel a bit guilty. It feel strange in the house without her here, use to the constant noise in the background. I do not work at the moment, mother needs 24 hour care. Hope to use the forum regularly.

Reft
Hi Reft, good to have your first time post Image

When my mum was in hospital last Spring it felt really wierd being at her flat and no mum to structure my day. I guess its good to have a break though even if you have mixed emotions. Mum went into a Home for two nights in the summer and it stressed me out ! Is this your first proper break ? I am lucky in that, currently, I take week-ends off when I return to my own home. I lead a double life. A double agent perhaps !

But welcome, and I hope you settle in here. Everyone is friendly and understanding.... I wont tell you not to worry about your mum cause thats stupid, but try and make the most of the time you have to yourself somehow.

Robert
Hi Robert,
No, I am my mother's fulltime carer (24/7), had my first break in 8 years in October and went to Isle of Wight for Weekend, enjoyed myself and didn't notice so much, but this time home alone twiggling my thumbs, doesn't feel the same, pushed on me through rapid changes in mother's personnality, mood swings, up and down like a yoyo. She is having her medication assessed to try and control it.

Reft
Hi Reft and welcome Image
Hi Reft. First break in eight years last October ! Goodness me. Maybe it was better for you last time as you had something planned. Of course now it sounds like your mum is more frail in various ways. I know when I am back in Southampton week-ends I get more stressed sometimes than right now, when I am staying with her in Somerset. And when she phones me I struggle to know what the problem is etc. Sorry to hear your mum is so unwell. I hope some reassessment of her meds will be some help to her, and to you.

Sounds like you are very unsettled and concerned. Not surprised. Wish I knew what to say to make you feel a little better in yourself.

Hope you get some sleep and I hope tomorrow you can maybe have a walk or something nice ?

Robert
Welcome to the forum Reft. I care for my 80 year old mother who has dementia so can understand what you're going through. It's not surprising you're feeling a bit at sea if you've been caring 24/7 for so long - I dare say you get very little time for yourself so when you do, you're not sure what to do with yourself. You need the break though to recharge your batteries.

A bit of idle trivia - I lived in Newport for three years when I was in my twenties. Loved it there - everyone was so friendly and you didn't have to travel far before you were in beautiful countryside. Image
Hiya and a warm welcome to the forum.