[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
carers bad start - Carers UK Forum

carers bad start

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
hi may know some of you from recent posts in other topics concerning my father who is 94 and suddenly became confused overnight,,, nothing really giving an obvious cause as yet, apart from low sodium level which i will be discussing with doctor today...
but the point i want to make here is.. after xmas break from work i got in touch with social services to try and get carers in for my dad while i,m at work,, the social worker was brilliant and got things in motion right away... a lady came to see me last week from the local council caring team who would initially do th caring for 6 to 8 weeks .. we arranged for carers to start yesterday 24th jan... she asked if i had any special requests fo the carers and i asked if the carer would be able to let my dog out for a wee, when they make my dad a cup of tea,, she said that would be no problem as all their carers are dog freindly and like animals....
it was the first day yesterday so i made sure dad was out of bed in his chair (in bedroom) before i went to work and i gave him his breakfast and a drink of tea.......
i left a note for the carer saying i had given dad his breakfast and if he did,nt want them to wash him not to worry and i would bath him when i got home...... i asked that they let charlie our dog out for a wee and explained that he was a very freindly fussy dog......this was at 6am i returned home from work at 12.. to find a note from the carer asking me to leave the kettle tea/sugar/milk and cup in my dads bedroom today.. as he was scared of dogs..... so he had,nt let the dog out and he had,nt been into the kitchen and made my dad a cup of tea....and he said my dad refused a hands and face wash.......
why?? put a carer into a house with a dog, who is scared of dogs. and was clearly stated in my dads file that a dog was present in the house .... mick
she said that would be no problem as all their carers are dog freindly and like animals....
When we had care assistants to help Mum after her being discharged from hospital in 2009 we were told that any pets had to be shut in another room whilst they were there. Apparantly they considered pets to be a 'Health & Safety' issue Image
Mick, I hear what you say but let me say this....

You are doing everything you possibly can for your Dad. I'm please you got care sorted and have really made a huge effort to ensure things work okay. Yes, I would be really mad to find that a Carer had been sent who was scared of dogs - after you had been told that would not be an issue. Stuff like this happens, but thats no excuse. How frustrating. Poor Charlie. He sounds a lovely dog, bless him. Hope you have fed this back to Social Services. You have to keep plugging away. One thing gets resolved and then another presents itself....

Take care,

Robert