[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hi - Carers UK Forum

Hi

Tell us a bit about yourself here.

Hi

Just by way of an introduction.....my name is Robert, look forward to the forum helping me out, and hope I can usefully contribute. I look after my Father who is 84 and had a stroke 4 years ago, leaving his left hand side pretty weak. I took early retirement in 2012. I had a heart transplant in November 2013, I am a type 1 diabetic and have chronic kidney disease. My Dad is very lucid and there is no evidence of dementia. We walk together daily albeit not so much in this cold weather. I look after his every need and we are good together, good friends as well as Father and son. We are currently just finding our way around the various support services that might be available to us. I have social services on board but I'm not sure how Age UK work in all this as social services keep referring to them but I'm not exactly sure how to access them.
Looking forward to meeting and interacting with new folks
Hi Robert, welcome to the forum. I have supported all four elderly disabled parents until they died. It can be rewarding and frustrating at the same time, sad to see people we remember in their prime slowing down. I also support my son who is 35, brain damaged at birth, so he has severe learning difficulties, but only in some areas. He can't count at all, but can be trusted to light up and look after a 12 ton steam roller at a show! If SSD are saying Age UK can do ... then ask SSD for a phone number. In my area, what used to be the Princess Royal Trust for Carers are contracted by the council to provide certain services, which can be a bit confusing for a new person.
Hi and welcome.
A member of my family works for Age uk or Age concern. Sorry but I can never remember. They can offer loads of advice and help . Have you tried the internet for finding your local office. I would have thought ss would have all these numbers. :)
Hi Robert, I look after my mum who is disabled following encephalitis during her admission/treatment for non Hodgkins lymphoma in her brain, and my sister who has cerebral palsy.

Your sentence about you and your dad being the best of friends is so heartwarming. We're also a close family but I can get mardy and frustrated sometimes (although I'm more even-tempered now I'm off the fags).