[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Financial Advice Re: Pension Credit, Etc. - Carers UK Forum

Financial Advice Re: Pension Credit, Etc.

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi

My name is Gillian and I am new to Carers UK.
I have been looking after my 80 year old widowed mum for some ten years now (since the death of my dad). I have only recently applied for Carers Allowance (after being advised by numerous people/etc.) and was successful in my claim.
However, my mum received a letter from the Pension Service in December advising her that due to a change in her circumstances her weekly allowances are now being reduced by some £50.03 a week ! (back-dated to last September).
I am at a loss to know why this might be as there have been no change in mum`s circumstances other than I am claiming Carers Allowance.
If anyone can shed any light on this and advise accordingly I would be most grateful.

Thank you
Hello Gillian, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll soon get some replies with advice. I can only suggest you contact Citizens Advice Bureau, I've found them very helpful in the past. I'm in touch with them again now because I am having similar problems with DLA. They seem to do this kind of thing a lot. CAB will know how to deal with it best, and will take the pressure off you in handling DLA etc.

Best wishes to you and your mum.

Good luck, Lesley xx
You could also phone the carersuk advice line (or e-mail them if you cant get through) - details on the home page here. They are very good at advising about benefits.
Hi,
Carers allowance is taken out of the Pension Credit of the person getting the care.
Doesn't make sense, giving with one hand and taking away with the other but that is how the system works.
If you get carers allowance though it does enable you to have assessments in your own right for any help you might need.
they give it you but will take it from your mum
The benefits system moves in mysterious ways. Would mum be happy for you to discuss her affairs with someone? It is absolutely vital to speak to Carers UK or a good independent benefits advice service to get proper advice (NOT the DWP). If you are a carer, then depending on the circumstances of both of you, an additional Carers Premium might be payable but it really is a bit like Snakes and Ladders, but do persevere, as you might end up being better off as a result.
Hi Gillian Image
Re Crocus' post, the number is here
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18890
Welcome Image
Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated.
I will email the advice line for carers uk, in order to clarify the position (thank you Crocus for the info.)
I just wish that there was more clarity from the DWP in what and why they make their decisions and how on earth they justify them (like you said give with one hand and take away with the other). Just feels like when you work full-time and contribute all your life you don`t seem to get your just rewards (only in heaven, as they say !) Whoever said "life a`int fair" was spot on.
Many thanks again for your reponses.
your mum was getting extra money on her Pension Credit as she was getting Attendance Allowance and lived alone..its called a 'severe disability premium', this was only payable because no one was claiming carers allowance for looking after her and she lived alone....
now you have claimed carers allowance...the pension service have removed her severe disability premium ...they wont pay the money twice...you claimed CA, your mum agreed, so she loses out on the premium...catch 22...welcome to world of a fair and equal welfare system...not! Image
Depending on where you live, how much money you both have, and who is deemed to live with who (ask CUK for an explanation of that one!) you might both be eligible for "premiums" on other benefits - it really is a stupid game of Snakes and Ladders. However, CUK made me better off, so it really IS worth persevering.