[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
am I entitled to claim for my own disabilities? - Carers UK Forum

am I entitled to claim for my own disabilities?

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hia all.
My little boy now 10 has been diagnosed with ASD with anxiety spd and I have been an official carer for a year now for him, as I was reluctant to claim any benefits as I didn't think we needed them but when I had to give up work to stay at home to "be there" etc etc I claimed dla and carers allowance on his behalf so.... Here's the speal ....
I'm unwell myself I have Crohn's severe endometriosis, and neuromuscular condition which has been progressing and is yet to be diagnosed as awaiting to see specialists etc I can't go anywhere on my own on a bad day which is often I have to have help monouvering etc getting dressed reminded to eat etc, but can I have some light shed....
We as parents still care for our children (my daughter is also suspected to have an underlying condition we have just been told she is being monitored) but my family are saying that because I don't have any source of income due to being so unwell for so long I should look at claiming pip? My mother in law helps me on a daily basis as she lives next door and is a pensioners etc my husband works
I just want to know am I entitled to claim for my own disabilities? (Still getting my head around it all tbh) IV been unwell since 2018 if that helps. I'm 31 and have 2 children and have only just given up working x advice would be great
Dear Carlene
Firstly, welcome to our forum, I am sure other carers experiencing a similar situation will be in touch soon. In the meantime I would suggest you contact our helpline, they can be contacted:

Our Telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (advice@carersuk.org)
They can help provide support and guidance on:
- Benefits and financial support
- Carers' assessments and how to get support in your caring role
- Services available to carers and the people you care for

I also wanted let you know there are other ways you can connect with carers, we are currently running weekly meet ups for carers to take some time for themselves and chat to other carers. Feel free to join if you'd like to and there's no pressure to share anything you don't want to. I'm sure you'll find others in a similar position to yourself.

You can find information on how to register to our online meetups at the following pages:
Share and Learn: - these sessions range from creative writing activities to beginners Latin dance sessions.
https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... e-sessions

Care for a Cuppa:
This social is a great way to have a little break if you are able to and spend some quality time talking to people who understand what you are going through right now.
https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... ne-meetups

Please have a look and join us if you would like to, there's no pressure to share anything you're not comfortable with.

with kind regards
Hello & Welcome Carlene

Yes, you certainly can and you should. Even though you haven't be formally diagnosis you can still apply. You can use as evidence your appointments to G.P. and all medical appointments.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... ce-payment

https://benefitanswers.co.uk/how-to-cla ... n%20prizes!