Hello to all

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
susieq wrote:
Shaun_1611 wrote: On a different train of thought, would you advise going for extra health and social care training ?
I can operate a hoist, sling and so on currently though not had formal training. Do you think that it would be beneficial to do a moving and handling course or dementia care for future prospects. I know a person that does that kind of training for the care company that takes care of my aunts personal care. She offered to give me the same training at a discount if i wanted to advance my skills further, for now and the future.
If you have the time to devote to it I'd say 'go for it' - if no other reason than it would give you confidence when assisting both Ladies. Plus, of course, it could stand you in good stead in the future should you decide (and be able) to return to the workplace :)
Thanks for the reply Susieq :)

That's what i was thinking, I have been a carer since about age 15 and still love to be of help and support to my family and anyone else who needs advice or just a shoulder to cry on. I love caring and it's been the only constant in my life, i honestly can't see myself doing any other job other than possibly nursing. During my training to do home hemodialysis, the staff at my local hospital suggested i apply to become staff there.. ( not sure if that was to boost confidence or a genuine suggestion ) Being a carer as i'm sure you will know. You never just stick to one thing as i have learned over the years, you become a jack of all trades and master of non. Learning more about various aspects of care, ranging from basic wound care to detailed medical treatments and conditions. I will think about it for a while, let the christmas period pass and have a chat with some of the staff.
WElcome...and yep Go for It.
I did a fair bit of dementia training, (and manual handling) purely to help me initially with my late husband (he had vascular D and probably Alz too). Academically interesting (though obviously emotionally challenging in my circumstances). Promoting dementia awareness is vital, in my book so go go go go for it! And I hope you make good use of it in the future. Always best to keep an eye on the future, distant plans etc.
Hope you find this forum useful and I rather suspect you can be useful to others too.

PS......and as hands on carers we have the chance to improve effective communication skills, yeah??? Of which, listening is debatably the most useful.
Dancedintherain wrote:WElcome...and yep Go for It.
I did a fair bit of dementia training, (and manual handling) purely to help me initially with my late husband (he had vascular D and probably Alz too). Academically interesting (though obviously emotionally challenging in my circumstances). Promoting dementia awareness is vital, in my book so go go go go for it! And I hope you make good use of it in the future. Always best to keep an eye on the future, distant plans etc.
Hope you find this forum useful and I rather suspect you can be useful to others too.

PS......and as hands on carers we have the chance to improve effective communication skills, yeah??? Of which, listening is debatably the most useful.
Thank You Dancedintherain for the welcome,

I agree with you wholeheartedly , it's always good to plan for the future.
I can only imagine how hard it must have been for you, as for listening i'm always ready to listen to anyone's problems. Sometimes all we need is just someone to show an interest so we know that someone else cares too.

I only joined a few days ago.. before then i just dealt with stuff internally and lots of time silently reflecting on things that bothered me. Since joining it's felt a lot easier to write stuff down and look at things from a fresh perspective. I'm happy to be here and feel a little silly not joining years ago, ohh well we live and learn. :)
I will have a talk to the trainers i know and see what they think, maybe try and work out a learning schedule around all the dialysis sessions i have to do each week for my aunt. Hopefully i can start after xmas, skills are essential for further development especially when more and more of us are living longer.
(Oh Shaun, don't let the others know...but pleeeeease can I adopt you? As nephew, grandson, anything will do ;) ;) :) )
Hi Shaun
You sound like a dedicated, naturally caring person. One thing I wondered is whether you would like to do a First Aid Course and gain your certificate? Another string to your bow. I don't know how old you are but what about the ambulance service as a future career? Now that's caring at the sharp end!
E.
That could be interesting Dancedintherain lol :) ;)

(Ok, I won't tell anyone and you can adopt me if you wish, i will let you choose what as though ;) ;) :))
Excellent. Goodnight new nephew!! :lol:

Ps I think ambulance crew as suggested above is brill idea.
Elaine wrote:Hi Shaun
You sound like a dedicated, naturally caring person. One thing I wondered is whether you would like to do a First Aid Course and gain your certificate? Another string to your bow. I don't know how old you are but what about the ambulance service as a future career? Now that's caring at the sharp end!
E.
Hi Elaine,

Honestly I've never really thought about doing a first aid course, sounds like a good idea though. :)
Certainly would come in handy if the need arose with my gran or aunt, especially looking towards the future.
I'm 36 currently so old enough i'd think to become ambulance crew, which kind did you mean though.
Patient transport or rapid response ?

Both would be an interesting change of direction to my current path of just dealing with things day by day, I've had community nurses try to get me to help them do their rounds with them, renal nurses ask when my aunt was going to dialyze at hospital again ( partly because they get short staffed and they know i can just get on with it) I get all kind's of offers from different professions i come into contact with.
So many options to choose from yet my aunt and grandmother come first sadly i must admit. (due to personal reasons I can't just give up on them, plus it wouldn't be in me to just say I can't look after you anymore.)
Yay! I got adopted lol :D

Good night auntie Dancedintherain :lol:
A good friend of mine left school with no qualifications and became a lorry driver, but dreamed of being a paramedic. He went to night school to get the minimum entry qualifications, then trained to be a paramedic. Not only did he qualify, hw went on to be one of the most senior officers. If you find something you really want to do, there are no barriers if you try. We need all the good staff we can find with an ageing population like ours, so good luck. Let us enjoy your journey.