[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hello I'm new to the Carer UK Forum - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Hello I'm new to the Carer UK Forum

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi there and welcome
no Rosemary you are nobody's fool...indeed yours was the most detailed reply I got. I also got great advice from Myrtle and Charles47

I take it from your obvious ease with navigating through all of this jargon that you are all old hands at this campaigning mullarkey but as for me....the sad thing is, I have never heard of most of the issues you mentioned and even those I have heard of I wouldn't have a clue where to start...how can we influence the Welfare Reform Bill for instance
Clause 7 deleted?? Green Papers??? Grand Committee Stages????

Re the photo from Excalibur...what happened is that the MSP in the photo overheard me complaining that we had not been given the opportunity to take our protest to the numpties inside the numpty hut (the MSP's inside the scottish parliament)

She came over to tell us that if we wrote to our MSP..."emm we have, he passed the buck to the council and the council blames you lot"....I could see her eyes glazing over and without further reply she turned away and spoke to the guy in the photo...i told him he had spoken well, cant remember anything else said, a camera appeared...i wanted to tell her she was quite rude, but never did...at least the guy listened to us and treated us respectfully...never thought we'd ever cross paths again though so I wouldn't claim to know him.....small world though eh?

...we were the last ones to leave that day but although it was great to be part of this historic protest...i heard many of those there saying that they too thought we were led to "man the barricades" then just left to go AWOL....we were all fired up by the hype and expected something much better organized at the end than standing around the numpty hut..we are already treated as outsiders by the system...to be left as outsiders in front of the parliament while the numpties sat inside warm, salaried and expenses reimbursed...it made my blood boil

if there is ever another march, i hope its soon and its better organized with the opportunity to directly address the MSP's inside the parliament....and ends with the formal issuing of our demands
Hi Billy and welcome

You know more people on here than I do already Image Image

Good luck
Bluebird
Hello Billy

Just thought you may like to see these, two protests organised on one
day, also in many towns and cities carers met/wrote to there MP's
and carers centres organised MP's to come to the centres and talk to
carers, all held on April 22nd 2009.
Elections are up for a new committee, we did our bit now it is time
to hand over.....
http://carerspovertyprotest.myfreeforum ... ut542.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz8EHQUe9_o

http://iscandassociates.net/as.aspx
if there is ever another march, i hope its soon and its better organized with the opportunity to directly address the MSP's inside the parliament....and ends with the formal issuing of our demands
I hope so too!
But as none of us have never organised a protest march before, we had to start somewhere, and I guess the only way to learn is to just do it and learn what works and what doesn't. People have been talking about a march for years, so a few of us just decided to give it a try. Lots of people thought it wouldn't work, but judging by the number of MSPs who came outside to talk to us, the meeting with the Health Minister at VOCAL, and the impact on debates ever since inside the "Numpty House" and not least - the large number of carers who came along to march, we had a real and lasting impact.

There is always a problem at the end of a demo - short of a good old fashioned riot most demos end when people get bored and go home, its the usual thing. It would be nice to have some fireworks or a free concert, but thats for another day....

If you want to join the organising group, then please do put your name forward for next year. I have already said that I am standing down, so Scotland needs people willing to take the initiative forward.
ive come across this tactic before....shut the gobby one up by inviting them to try to do the organizing....sorry guys as a former shop-steward and committee veteran i must admit i was briefly tempted for a tiny moment until reality kicked in again...

...........weekly schedule sent by PM.......

i must re-refer you to my original posting to illustrate why i think it is unwise for me to join your organizing committee...short of being suddenly freed from care home visits by a visit from the grim reaper....i cant see myself being able to commit to enough free time to be able to do the job properly....assuming anyone was daft enough to offer me it
ive come across this tactic before....shut the gobby one up by inviting them to try to do the organizing....sorry guys as a former shop-steward and committee veteran i must admit i was briefly tempted for a tiny moment until reality kicked in again...

...........weekly schedule sent by PM.......

i must re-refer you to my original posting to illustrate why i think it is unwise for me to join your organizing committee...short of being suddenly freed from care home visits by a visit from the grim reaper....i cant see myself being able to commit to enough free time to be able to do the job properly....assuming anyone was daft enough to offer me it
We are all carers, all in the same boat, basically. But we can all sign petitions, email folk, and organise things from home. Better to do any kind of protest at all, than worry too much about doing it properly. As a carer myself I did all my own organising from home by phone and email, attending only one meeting in Dundee and a couple of radio slots. No big deal. It was less hassle than I thought it would be. The whole thing was organised without a single committee meeting or even a bank account. Frankly most people put a lot more into their kids weddings. So, its all about priorities.
We are all carers, all in the same boat, basically. But we can all sign petitions, email folk, and organise things from home. Better to do any kind of protest at all, than worry too much about doing it properly.....
petitions...check....e-mail folk....check.....organize things.....aye well 2 out of 3 aint bad

i have the worlds worst memory and am officially the most dis-organized person...my wife's assessment is she spends more time caring for me!!