[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Am I a carer? - Carers UK Forum

Am I a carer?

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hello.

Let's get the introduction over with...

My name's Phil and I'm 32!

I'm not really sure if I count as a carer or not, but I wanted to tell someone about what's going on, and I think this is a pretty good place to start.

Throughout her life, my girlfriend has suffered from severe depression, which has led to bouts of substance abuse. She's not taken drugs for a number of years, now, but she is an alcoholic.

She's been put on a number of different medications, which I really can't tell if they're doing any good (though I guess it's the Doc's place to know, not mine).

Recently, though, her mental condition has worsened, and she fitted - luckily I was around, and I called an ambulance. Since then, she has been to see a neurologist and he has advised that she should be supervised most of the time. She's not particularly close to her family, and I'm pretty much the only one to do it.

The problem is, is that she's just moved into a new flat, and I'm there the vast majority of my free time (I work 9-5), but I cannot move in, or she'll lose her housing benefit.

I'm getting extremley worn out, as it's akin to having 2 full time jobs, except one of them costs me money instead of earning, as I have to rent a room I never go to!

Am I an offical carer? I have no idea, but my life is taken up by making sure my girlfriend doesn't fall or drown in the bath and I don't know what to do about it.

Sorry if went on a bit, (and well done if you got to the end!), but it's good to be able to get it down. I don't have internet at home, and I'm off work until Wednesday next week, so please don't think I'm rude if you don't hear from me until then!

Phil
Hi Phil. I think anybody that cares hands on for another human being is a carer. Image
There's no question but that you're a carer, Phil.

Your situation is one I haven't come across so I can't offer much in the way of advice: however, there should be a Drug and Alcohol Team locally that may be able to offer support in one way or another. But - as with most of the services that might be able to help - your girlfriend has to be the one who asks for it.

And that is probably more of a problem?